Author Topic: Where to start???  (Read 4985 times)

Offline Elsa Padfield

• Minehead, UK
Where to start???
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 12:54:20 PM »
Ditto Heather.  However, try ebay.  I know it can take forever to list, but for those more expensive items you'll probably get more than at a car boot sale. A friend and I were offered some new shoes which hadn't been sold at a retail outlet and we've listed and sold them on ebay and made a little profit.  It can be a bit of a pain checking everyday for any queries and posting, but when the cash rolls in it's worth it.  Just think, you'll be able to buy more 'treasured' items when you move with the money!!

Offline lindi

Where to start???
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 13:49:29 PM »
We sold loads of stuff by using the local paper.  Did it all on-line using free adds so it didn't cost a penny and the few items that didn't sell from the first advert I just re-listed until it did.

Also used ebay and did a car boot - what didn't sell gave to charity shops or dumped it!

The thought of getting rid of it all was worse than actually doing it.

Good luck with your sale, it will all be worth it.

lindi :)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Where to start???
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 17:29:22 PM »
Thank you to everyone who replied. We made a start this afternoon taking a few thing to a charity shop. We have spoken to a few vultures (sorry) friends and family who are willing to take anything of any value of our hands. Free of course. I am going to have a go at e.bay. Car boots around here are finished but we had one in the summer. Talk about tight!! I thought we were going to have to pay people to take my stuff away. lol. I just took the whole lot to Oxfam in a mad hig. (temper) for all U not from Yorkshire. I will let you all know how I get on. Anne

Offline Elsa Padfield

• Minehead, UK
Where to start???
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 18:13:29 PM »
Good Luck and happy moving!!!!!

Offline goldiloques

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 20:08:53 PM »
Hi, there is a site called Freecycle where I've given items away- the person who wants the item has to collect it. I know you don't get any cash-just a warm glow for helping a stranger out. Remember, your the luck ones, off to a new life in Turkey.

Offline goldiloques

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 20:09:55 PM »
Hi, there is a site called Freecycle where I've given items away- the person who wants the item has to collect it. I know you don't get any cash-just a warm glow for helping a stranger out. Remember, your the luck ones, off to a new life in Turkey.

Offline goldiloques

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 20:51:13 PM »
Whoops!!! How did that get posted twice!!!

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Where to start???
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 17:45:40 PM »
Thanks for the e.bay advice guys. We have been selling on there all week and are doing absolutley great. I didn't know we had such bounty!!! Trouble is it is addictive and I am eyeing everything up now as a possible selling item. I loaded my car up with things for the hospice shop but as I stopped outside my mum's for 5 mins, 3 of her neighbours relieved me of half of it.(I took donations off them for the shop). Most of our furniture etc. is spoken for. It is going to family. Free of course. It is amazing how much junk we have accumulated over the years as "maybe this will come in handy sometime" but of course it never does. The garage has never looked as good. Just need the sale to go through now then whoopee we are coming to Fethiye. Haven't been as excited as this for years. Anne

Offline busybee

Where to start???
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 19:05:50 PM »
We did two boot sales before we came and raised 120pounds.  It wad a lot of hard work and we still had loads left.  Luckily a neighbour who was an ardent booter bought the rest of our stuff of 50 pounds.  Was were just glad to get rid of it.

Our furniture we put in the local free papers and it all went.  Even stuff we put out in the front garden for collection by the local council was snapped up.  People kept knocking on the front door and asking if it was for sale.

Small items we couldn't bear to part with we boxed up and sent by Royal Mail-cost 140 pounds. Beware though we think customs went thru it with a machette cos some china/glass items were broken.  As we paid insurance we contacted Royal Mail and they said they don't insure glass and china.  We obviously didn't read the small print.    

It will all come right in the end and we wish you good luck.  It will worth it in the end.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf