Author Topic: Buying a Vehicle - Non Residents  (Read 14594 times)

Offline crazydave

Buying a Vehicle - Non Residents
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 10:21:22 AM »
Eric,Is spot on once youve got the number your ok a friend of ours as just bought a car on the 9th jan, his residencey ran out in 2007 but hes had no probs registering his new car using his id number but he never showed them his blue folder he just wrote the number down on a piece of paper and gave the police that,well Ian looks like you walked into mine field with this debate  but seems like its possible to dodge the blasts afterall,Happy Motoring mate.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 10:59:56 AM »

What I posted 4 days ago about Foreigner ID Numbers.

quote:
Originally posted by KKOB

To get one you must have, or have had in the past, a Residence Permit. You can get a Residence Permit for as little as 1 month which will cost you £40 plus 10 TL for the translation office. (Although it's probably more sensible to get one for 3 or 6 months). So, you get a 1 month Residence Permit, which then entitles you to a Foreigner ID Number and then you buy your vehicle.

I don't currently have a Residence Permit but I DO have a valid Foreigner ID Number.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 11:06:11 AM »
Seriously - thanks for all your help - it looks like my new crash helmets may get used after all !!!!!

I am still not sure if going for a one month visa is "pushing my luck" so I think I should go for the 3-month residency visa at £100 as a compromise and hopefully as you say have an ID number for life - or until they change the law again!!!!

Thanks again - Ian :D

Offline crazydave

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 13:48:42 PM »
Kkob,This does work what you say about the id number my mates done it no probs at all,but he tried the same idea at the main telephone office on friday he wanted to change his phone and adsl from his turkish mates name into his own name, just using the id number he wrote it down so as not for them to see the actual blue book he had got which had run out,but theyve insisted he takes down the book so they can check that the residencey is still valid,as they will not accept just the number im wondering if all of a sudden theyve recognised a loophole,any ideas.

Offline pasha

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 23:00:09 PM »
You are not going to beat the system in Turkey, there may be loopholes, but these will invariably be closed when they are discovered and you will retrospectively pay the the price for trying to be devious.

It's OK buying a car just using your ID number, but after talking to my insurance company, they informed me that that no residency permit means no insurance cover.

Bite the bullet, pay your dues, and live with peace of mind.

Trying to save a few lira might cost you dearly in the future.  8)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 23:11:16 PM by pasha »

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2010, 23:28:30 PM »
It would be more than just a few lira  to ride a scooter for 4 months a year in my case so thank you for the advice and I will continue to use the dolmus and put off buying a vehicle until the law changes again  ;)

I can make that decision as I haven't bought anything yet but I cannot believe that non residents who have vehicles that were bought under one legislative ruling are going to find out that they now cannot reinsure them - that would be grossly unfair.

Ian

Offline albaman

• Membership Cancered
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 06:52:21 AM »
I live here In Calis & bought a scooter recently. Unfortunately, without warening the rules changed between the time of me ordering my new scooter & it being delivered.
It is now 6 weews since I applied for residency & I am still waiting for my passport to be returned.
I can therefore still not legally ride my new scooter!

Does anyone want to try & justify this system that is unfair, racist, & totally unorganised?

As I have said before, there should be no difference to the law & it's application because of being yabanci!

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 07:13:00 AM »
Turkish people don't have to apply for residency.

Offline brianthegardener

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 07:21:14 AM »
its there country....we are guests in there country...they make and change the laws....we accept there laws or we can leave...its our choice.

Offline albaman

• Membership Cancered
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 07:24:30 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerman

Turkish people don't have to apply for residency.

Obviously!

My points are:

Why are the rules & laws pertaining to having a scooter in Turkey applied very differently depending on ethnicity?

I did not get my scooter license by devious means! I have an INTERNATIONAL car & motorcycle license but can still not ride my scooter legally in Turkey.

Turkish people are allowed to ride scooters that are unroadworthy, overloaded, & carrying several people! Meanwhile yabanci riders, identified by their foreign plates, are fined for not wearing a helmet! Can anyone justify this?

I love Turkey but object to having to pay unfairly because of my nationality!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf