Author Topic: Family and Friends  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Jenny1

Family and Friends
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 14:59:58 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Karennina

I am going on own tonight for just under two weeks before hubby comes out, he does not get as much leave as me as he is not lucky enough to work in education!I can honestly say I, like you said Jenny am looking forward to pleasing myself and not having to make plans or keep people happy, I thought about asking various friends to come and then thought no I do not want the hassle this hol of people pleasing!

Karen you will love it! Please yourself what time you eat, go to bed, where you go, and as you say, no thinking up things to do for other people, is it the 1st time you have been on your own?
Have a safe flight and enjoy!  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Family and Friends
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 15:37:01 PM »
We invited my parents over when we were living in Calis and were worried that they wouldn't like it. I don't think for a minute they would have booked a holiday to Turkey if we hadn't been there, it just wasn't the type of place they'd consider. Anyway, they came and absolutely loved it. Many stories of friendliness and kindness (perhaps increased due to my dad being quite old but particularly frail through illness) and you would have thought this meant the pressure was off and we could all relax about their visit. Sadly not, I found myself thinking that as they loved it so much, and were spending so much time finding their own way around and exploring, that it was only a matter of time before a bad apple popped up and tried to rip them off or did something to completely change their view of the place.

Nothing of the sort happened but the reason for telling the story is that I spent every day worrying that it would, and ruin what actually was one of their most memorable holidays. It's such a shame to think that way but I find myself with that outlook through experience rather than natural pessimism.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Family and Friends
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 15:38:45 PM »
Ah thanks Jenny, have been on own before but used to have a cousin that lived there but she does not anymore. I love flying on my own and being at airport on my own, am little worried about evenings as not too sure about going out to eat on my own but I will see how I feel once there!

Offline Jenny1

Family and Friends
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 17:24:20 PM »
Flying on your own is nice I agree, also agree on nights! If I went out fir the day, say Olu, I would have something to eat there about tea tine and then back to hotel, and have a pamper night, read or watch tv, other nights I would get ready early and eat in Calis around 6 ish before everywhere got full, I always had a mag/book with me, just on case I felt a bit odd! You will be fine  :)

Offline Maz

Family and Friends
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 20:30:02 PM »
Thanks for all your replies-very interesting! x

Offline Piscoe

Family and Friends
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 09:55:38 AM »
We originally bought our place in 2005 to rent out and in all honesty we did that until last year. If you attract the wrong guests I promise it is not worth the hassle.

This year we have just marketed it to friends and family (didn't really do this before as we feared they would come back and find some reason or another to complain) and much to our surprise everyone that has been over has loved it. Being friends and family they tended to look after the place better too!

We have now taken our place off the usual websites and intend to keep it for ourselves save for allowing the Carretta Apartotel next door use it occassionally as an overflow to their place :)

Offline Lynn25

Family and Friends
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 15:54:22 PM »
I also don't have a property in Calis but on our 1st visit we stayed in a work colleagues 3 storey, 3 bedroomed, 4 bathroomed villa, just the 2 of us! We had know idea how big it was going to be but loved it and are this year returning to the same place for the 3rd time. Last year my daughter came with us and was no trouble, enjoyed it as much as we did, this year we thought we'd invite my partners daughter & her partner & 2 young boys as we had lots of room to share. As soon as the invite had been accepted we regretted it straight away, worrying if they would enjoy Calis, worrying if the boys would break anything, (they are a handful & very boisterous & extremely untidy!) Then there was the obvious "would you mind looking after them while we go out to eat on our own, we don't often get the chance" situation, and knowing my partners generosity, it would probably end up costing us a fortune!! However, we had to hide our joy when they decided they wouldn't be able to come with us after all!! It sounds so very selfish I know & we love them dearly but the thought of our 2 weeks in Calis being so stressful when it should be so relaxing & wonderful was causing sleepless nights. We'll take them back a nice present instead & enjoy our only 2 weeks of the year alone together! If we did own a property which we hope to in the future, we definately would not be letting anyone else have the keys, far to much stress & worry!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Family and Friends
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 16:46:33 PM »
If you decide to rent out, your place then becomes just like any other place you stay at on holiday, it's not really your own, you have to take away all clothes and person stuff.  The lovely thing about keeping it for yourselves, is, it becomes your Turkish home, with all your belongings and all your clothes that you can leave in the wardrobes.  It's so nice to come back and feel comfortable knowing no one else has been sleeping in your bed or using your kitchen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf