Author Topic: UK Television Volume?  (Read 851 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
UK Television Volume?
« on: September 08, 2010, 12:20:50 PM »
Do others agree that the sound volume on British TV is impossible to live with? It seems to me that since we have been back that music is normally so much louder than the programme itself is. Not just theme tune music but background music also seems to often make hearing the dialogue very difficult. Adverts are way louder than the programmes.

I spend my life turning the volume up and down and it's annoying me :-\

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
UK Television Volume?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 12:49:52 PM »
Got to agree. I am forever telling mrs Bewva to turn the TV down as I can not be trusted with the remote.
Adverts have got to be the worst. We tend to sky+ most things now so we can fast forward through the ads. I wish you could just press a skip button to miss the ads out.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
UK Television Volume?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 12:57:28 PM »
YES!!!!!
I go on at Gordon all the time for turning the TV up, I give him such a hard time, poor man, however I don't think he is all blameless.

The adverts are really loud, I try to mute the sound as soon as they come on, there was an article sometime back stating the huge profits made through TV adverts maybe the extra sound had something to do with it.

We buy any car.com is the one Ad that definitely gets muted!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
UK Television Volume?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 13:01:39 PM »
Also to add to all that - different sources seem to operate at different volumes too - with the TV at a constant volume level - I have a bluray player which nearly blows the windows out, very loud freeview built into the telly and a freeview recorder box which needs to be turned UP!

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
UK Television Volume?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 13:22:11 PM »
Its deliberate!   They know when the ads come on people nip to the loo or make a cuppa in the kitchen so they up the sound so you don't miss any:D:(

Offline maximumtom

UK Television Volume?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 15:30:06 PM »
I am hard of hearing. Background noise is a particular problem for me. I do not have a problem speaking with one or two people in a quiet environment but in a noisy pub I just cannot keep up with a conversation. I have hearing aids but they do not help. American films seem particularly fond of loud background noise and I rely on subtitles where available . British films and TV programs are somewhat better but by no means perfect. As I have the sound normally loud, I have to leap for the volume control when adverts come on. News channels also like to play background music as they read out the headlines ( why for heaven's sake ?). I have written a number of times to complain about the various problems but it is like weeing into the wind. Beach volleyball tournaments are a pain in the neck too. Whenever there is a stoppage in play, they play very loud pop music. Move over Victor Meldrew.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf