Author Topic: Pub Games and Pastimes  (Read 803 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Pub Games and Pastimes
« on: November 18, 2010, 16:23:03 PM »
Some of you may remember a few years ago when there were many pub games - darts, skittles, shove ha'penny, bar skittles, russian billiards, pushing the pea with your nose - and the like. Most of these seem to have declined or disappeared except for darts which is now, allegedly, a "sport" and its champion (Phil "The Power" Taylor) ought to be BBC Sports Personnality of the Year and it ought to be included in the Olympics! Yeah, hand-and-eye co-ordination needed - just like shove ha'penny and all the other bar "sports" (except pushing the pea, that requires eye-to-nose co-ordination).

On the pastimes front a new interest has overtaken my local which (I may have mentioned before) is a place of extreme grumpiness - if not rage - with the world and all within it. The new interest is Celebity Sweepstake. You may be familiar with this. It is where you pay to pick a celebrity name out of a hat, all celebrities being over 80 years, and that is your runner for who is going to die first race. Winner takes all. The draw was over by the time I got there but the two blokes I was talking to had drawn Hugh Heffner and Bruce Forsyth respectively. The second guy was not happy: he complained "That b*st*rd is never going to die". The other suggested that this might be a bit morbid. Still it does give them an interest in life outside wondering what colour the Queen's hat will be at THAT wedding.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 17:07:12 PM by Colwyn »

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
Pub Games and Pastimes
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 23:48:39 PM »
Colwyn I agree with you on most of that but I must take exception about the darts. If landed gentry can fire 12 bore cartridges at lumps of clay and would be Robin Hoods can fire arrows from bows that Robin Hood would not recognise each to win medals. Then surely a guy throwing a dart propelled by nothing but his hand and arm at a fairly demanding target deserves an equal opportunity at Olympic or any other sporting level.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf