Author Topic: Turkish Lessons in Liverpool  (Read 8977 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Turkish Lessons in Liverpool
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2005, 19:25:43 PM »
Hi to my other multi linguists friends who attended last night!

I really enjoyed the lesson, it seems a good group of people with most having about my knowledge of the language... Zilch !

It now makes sense why C is J and we now know how those funny extra Turkish vowels sound, we almost had a football chant going on, all I needed to do was add the name John Arnie Riise to the OOOH UUUH EEEH

The teacher is called Yenal and he is from Izmit ( is that the same as Izmir ) he seems great but will require the patience of a saint to get us lot through. Anyone who want's to drop in mid way will be welcome, last night we had 4 people who did the last 4 weeks of last years course and came back to do the first 4 of the new course. Will keep you posted.

Rimms

Offline Suzie

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2005, 17:13:30 PM »
wouldn't quite term myself as a multi linguist.....not yet anyway!!!

Just have to see how the next seven weeks go- I hope to have mastered pronouncing those dreaded vowels by then....

See you all next week

Suzie

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2005, 19:16:00 PM »
wait til you get on to suffixes and word order
Tinx:D

Offline Lynn

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2005, 13:49:35 PM »
Merhaba

I am a fellow Scouser, I live in Huyton.  Yenal is actually a good friend of mine, and he was my Turkish teacher 2 years ago.  Kerry who works (don't know if she still does) in the bar above Mark's place and also teachers English over there, was also learning with me.  Yenal actually works at the University of Liverpool where I work, but in a different department.  He is a lovely guy and I will let him know that he has got a couple of mentions on the Forum, I'm sure he'll be chuffed.

I am coming over to Çaliş tomorrow for a week, so may see some of you, and looking forward to watching Liverpool on Wednesday 'Come on You Reds'!  I should get a seat ok as I think most of you will be at the party.

Gürüsürüz, Lynn

Offline dalefamily

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2005, 08:36:54 AM »
so are lessons over now? hows it all gone? will we be able to call on you lot this summer to sort out any problems we have with translation during our stay in calis???
kathryn

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2005, 09:40:10 AM »
Hi Kath,

We are in summer recess at the moment, our teacher is off to Fethiye soon for 3 week and will be staying in my house for one week. He is not planning to run the lessons next year at the nightschool venue in Childwall but we might end up in either Southport or Formby. The lessons went well and it is amazing just how much you can pick up in such a short time, wish I was there now to practice.

Rimms

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2005, 10:00:21 AM »
Perhaps he can teach Scouse in Turkey!

Tinx:D

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2005, 20:58:28 PM »
I Have only just found this post and am so cheesed off I missed this course- how many forum members actually attended in the end. Did you all see it through?  Please keep us informed of where next years course will be as I would love to attend, but only if if is south liverpool again (being a woolton lass!!)

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2005, 21:22:26 PM »
Woolton Eh Sue, ( for the benefit of others, the posh part )

3 of the members here attended, I came top of the class and Sandgrounder sat in the corner with a big pointy hat on.

Sadly our teacher is not doing the course in the college again but is willing to run a private course in Formby or Southport if there is enough demmand.

Rimms

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2005, 21:55:34 PM »
what a shame!  Southport and formby just too far out to get to. Could do with brushing up on my turkish, having only spent 3 days there since 1998.  However I have been listening to my Collins "Teach yourself Turkish" tape casette in the car - full blast.! So if you see a blue and silver terrano driven by a woman mouthing " eeee yak
sham laaaa" give us a wave!  It must have been good to mix with fellow scousers and forum members.  Anyone else from Woolton out there???  (Actually, eeeeee yak sham laaaa sounds pretty good when said by a scouser!! Bet no-one else says it the same as us hey!:D)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 21:57:12 PM by sue mac »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf