Author Topic: Shredded suet  (Read 2592 times)

Offline sunnyd

Shredded suet
« on: October 12, 2011, 10:52:51 AM »
I'm going to make my own mincemeat this year, I have the candied peel covered as I'll make my own. But does anyone know if/where I can buy shredded suet?

Offline screamlead

Shredded suet
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 16:43:24 PM »
You could try making your own. Dont think you can buy it out here, i once bought some beef fat from local butcher who charged me 10 tl for 1kg of fat. I then melted it down in a pan on the hob and left to cool for a while then poured into moulds and the froze it. Grate into a bowl and add flour and hey presto suet! I did have an exact recipe from online but cant find it. There was also a veggie one using oil and flour, i think i found them looking for dumpling recipes as mine had got some strange things crawling in the original atora packets. I now keep them in the fridge.

Offline sunnyd

Shredded suet
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 16:53:40 PM »
Thanks Dave, I'll look and see what I can find online.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Shredded suet
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 19:21:22 PM »
It won't be cheap, but I'm certain I've seen Atora in the pork shop by Tansas

Offline busybee

Shredded suet
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 20:48:03 PM »
If you google it there is a recipie for mincemeat without suet, I made some and couldnt tell the difference

Offline grizabella

Shredded suet
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 08:04:53 AM »
My friend Carol has had to make her own the past two years for her Christmas Puddings.This year?Every friend coming over from the Uk has brought a couple of packets with them which saves her a lot of time and effort.Sorry but dont know of anywhere in Fethiye that sells the stuff.

Offline TB752

Shredded suet
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 13:47:57 PM »
You can get suet from the butcher but you have to be very lucky or make a deal with your butcher to let you have one. A couple of years ago I managed to get some.  It was very large and came with membrane and blood vessels attached.  It took a bit of cleaning off and then I ground it in a food processor and froze it in small packs.  I got about a kilo of suet in the end.  Failing this I usually freeze a block of margarine and then grate it into the mix, this works quite well.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Shredded suet
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 19:39:39 PM »
The butchers in the Fish Market always has fat that's suitable for rendering down to suet and it's not expensive. It's best to ask for dana böbrek yagi which is the fat that surrounds the kidneys.

I found the best method was to melt it gently in a pan, and once it's liquified, to drizzle it into a pan of cold water so that it forms small globules. Then drain it and dust it with flour. Once you've done that it can be frozen if needs be for several months.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 19:43:01 PM by KKOB »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf