Author Topic: Winds of change for Hisaronu  (Read 20895 times)

Offline Sleuth

Winds of change for Hisaronu
« on: October 21, 2011, 16:49:41 PM »
We have stayed in Hisaronu for 18 weeks this season ( we  go back to the UK 24th Oct )  In 10 years of coming here as far as visitors .. this has been the worst season by far.. many establishments closed / closing very early, and many have closed permanently.. it really feels like the `boom time` is over and I fear next season will be worse and it will turn into a `ghost town` in many areas, particularly the side streets off Bar Street. Its not just the bars and restaurants feeling it... many shops also have had a dire season. I must say one could see this coming as H has always, it seems had far to many shops / bars / restaurants / clothes shops etc.. per head of people. With the exchange rate this year the best ever, even that cant draw the visitors in numbers to H .
Olu Deniz  and Fethiye  have both  had a good season we were told by reliable sources... but Hisaronu ? looks like the party is over.
What kind of season has Calis or Ovacik  had ? Has it been a similar scenario ?

Offline ertugrulkuz

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 18:20:01 PM »
I totally agree that there are so many shops and bars per head in Hisaronu but it is a bit difficult to reduce the number of the places after this stage.The main problem with Hisaronu is being depended on British tourists only.Oludeniz,Fethiye and Calis dont suffer much because they already got people from all over the world.Dutch,Russian,German,Polish etc.The high rate Pound get against lira didnt help much either as it can only work if you have some Pounds to change in your pocket :)The last point is we had very rainy and chilly weather both in the beginning of the season and at the end of the season.Hisaronu is located 400 mt above sea level and it is very cold to sit and chat outside with holiday clothes on.Still Hisaronu is a very nice place and it can offer really nice things for all of us once the economy in UK get better and we have visitors with more money but less worries...

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 00:19:49 AM »
I think you are both entirely right - I was in both during World Cup 2006 and the difference was amazing - it's a really clear indicator when you can see the bars full of German fans one night and the orange shirts of the Dutch the next etc (and the frustrated faces of the England fans!) in Calis - whereas in Hisaronu the football fans were pretty much all English.

Whether one resort in Turkey can survive on clients from one country is debatable to say the least - especially when they are currently English. Things are not good anywhere but particularly tough here in the UK. I also wonder if Hisaronu gave what people wanted - or gave what they thought people wanted. I see nothing remarkable about a row of bars and restaurants up a mountain trying to outdo their neighbours with their "music" and I never have. Do people really want Egg & Chips and an Efes from a menu priced in sterling? I wonder if they have year after year customers returning like Calis does in hundreds, or perhaps the return of Hisaronu holidaymakers is weak. I suspect that it is.

I seem to offend Hisaronu lovers on CBF year in year out and it is not my intention. To me there is no reason for it to be there as a holiday resort, it is a road on the way to a holiday resort. It is sold based on ludicrous cheapness for both hotels and holidays, I have highlighted hotels for £2 per day per room - how can anywhere survive? If it does survive, it will be down to Brits who want 7 days for £99 including flights, full English and an Efes for a fiver and if that can't be done next year they'll go to wherever it can be.

(Scunner ducks...)

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 00:39:01 AM »
Goodness me Scunner it must be something to do with this time of year, I happen to agree with you yet AGAIN.  : :) ;)[:o)]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 00:39:37 AM by loz »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 00:46:36 AM »
That is twice in about six years yet at the same time twice in three days? :D

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 00:55:18 AM »
We stayed in a hotel in Hisaronu for five years but got fed up because the rooms went downhill.  We always liked the atmosphere in the hotel but it could get a bit noisy if folk wanted to sleep and their room was near the bar.
it has ben refurbished and soundproofed and we have always had a great welcome there even when we didn't stay.
The restuarant has some of the best food to be found out there.  We don't bother going up the street to eat.  here are a couple of out of the way rstuarants we have used but tend to eat mostly in the hotel.That is apart from our favorite Fethiye restuarant. Mosaic Bahce.
Walikng up the street after dinner is nice things to see, Turkish and British  families wandering around.  The shops however are all selling the same stuff and more variety is needed.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 01:08:41 AM »
We stayed up the mountain for 2 nights last month, Gordon loves Hisaronu, the noise the nightlife, bars the lot! me I don't mind it during the day but night time it is all my nightmares comes true! but how could I resist B&B 2 night for £6 total?  

(Oh and not to forget the Tsunami and breakfast entertainment, or should that be insults ;))

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 07:14:33 AM »
The thing is that you can basically get what His offers for £199 ( and as low as £99 in some cases) including flight and accom if you go to Spain or Portugal. Flight costs have been a major factor in why people are probably heading elsewhere.  Times are hard for many.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 10:19:30 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

it is a road on the way to a holiday resort.

Don't think we have ever stopped on the way through to Olu Deniz. Hate the look of the place.

Offline Carolyn1957

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 10:33:53 AM »
Unfortunately some of the bar/restaurant and shop owners are contributing to the decline by addressing the drop in customers by increasing the costs for those who continue to go there whether for a holiday or for a quick visit.

We've seen a hike in prices which seem to rise as the same rate as visitor numbers fall. Also the bizarre way in which places price in GBP. We got caught out at Codswallop recently when we were conned into paying £8.50 a head for mediocre fish and cold chips.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf