Author Topic: New Phone Line  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Ray1951

New Phone Line
« on: November 27, 2011, 11:26:57 AM »
Can anyone advise me on cost and best provider and requirements to have a phone line installed. I'm not bothered about calls, I just want it for internet so I want good speed. I live near Sevi Hotel. Yhanks in anticipation of your advice.

Offline LeeGlo

New Phone Line
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 17:19:05 PM »
I think the ONLY provider is Turk Telecon. Their offices are on the road opposite Kipa going toward the sea. They are on the right hand side. You will need to have residency to get a line, you'll need your own phone and probably an electrician to finish the installation. It helps if you can give them the tel number of a near neighbour - so they know where you are on their system!
About a week after you get your home line you can apply for ADSL internet, when we had ours, 3 years ago, they provided the wifi router, not sure what the package costs are now as we use a dongle since moving. We also now live near the Sevi.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
New Phone Line
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 18:14:06 PM »
The reason for the electrician is that, unlike the UK, TurkTelekom only take responsibility for the cabling outside your property. You are responsible for any wiring inside the building.

If you're in a reasonably new property it should already have phonelines running through the cavities. Have a look for round plastic disks about 3 inches across covering holes at roughly head height or for multi-point sockets about 18 inches above the skirting. It's just a case of finding them and connecting your phone and/or modem to the wires etc.

Offline martinp2502

New Phone Line
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 16:34:21 PM »
We applied about 7 weeks ago and only wanted the adsl line (no phone) which wasn't a problem. They came the next day to install and yes you do need an electrician to finish the work within the house. They asked if we wanted a modem because you can buy theirs and it gets added onto the monthly amount. We went for unlimited downloads which is YTL 55 PCM. (if you go to the Telecom office try to see the lady at the end as she speaks some English and is very helpful)

We didn't actually get connected for another 6 weeks but that was down to a problem with the cabling and both Turk Telecom and then our own electrician had to sort (and Byram in the middle). If the connection works then it is relatively simple, but we found it extemely frustrating trying to find out what out problem was and how long it would take to sort.

Offline Ray1951

New Phone Line
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 16:23:35 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their prompt replies.  Much appreciated.
 :)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
New Phone Line
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 22:37:50 PM »
Is the connection quick enough for things like Skype ?

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
New Phone Line
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 08:30:22 AM »
You really need a 2mg connection for decent Skype, this is commonly available but TTNET will offer a 1mg, don't bother! I believe an "up to" 8mg is appx 80tl a month inc. phone line but have heard various prices banded about, as usual for Turkey!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf