Author Topic: Spirulina ?  (Read 2150 times)

Offline valleyboy

Spirulina ?
« on: June 16, 2012, 14:21:41 PM »
I have never really had much time for supplements of any kind, as I get older favouring a well balanced, healthy diet and trying to maintain a certain level of fitness. This said a friend of mine recently recommended using a supplement called "Spirulina", which is a totally natural blue/green algi. He was not the kind of person to dismiss and his comments were really positive, almost making it sound like a "wonder supplement" !.

I researched it on line and made enquiries at Holland & Barrett and it did appear to have glowing recommendations with various health and vitality benefits. I decided to put it on trial and bought a few to sample, apparently the benefits occur quite quickly, so I'll keep you informed.

I was wondering in the meantime has anyone tried or continue to use Spirulina and can offer any feedback ????

Thanks in anticipation .   ;)

Offline Marggie

Re: Spirulina ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 16:36:24 PM »
Just interested to know what health and vitality benefits this supplement claims to have.

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 09:55:18 AM »
Marggie, The main thing seems to be that because of the chemical make up i.e. proteins, vitamins, amino acids etc, it helps to boost the body's immune system, and is apparently good for the skin and eyes, also it is supposed to help suppress the appetite due to the amount of vegetable protein, so can help with obesity. It also has grander claims of helping with heart conditions and to have anti-cancer properties (apparently tested to fight against HIV), I think these claims are pretty much unsubstantiated.

It has quite an interesting history and centuries ago harvested from the lakes in South America and dried into cakes and used as a food by the Aztecs. It has also more currently been used to assist fight malnutrition amongst children in India.

I remain to be convinced !, as I said previously I'm pretty sceptical about supplements, particularly as most of the wonder supplement claims just happen to be from the manufacturers !, what did interest me was my friends "passionate" response to the stuff (and I don't think he's a salesman   ;)  :)), and the fact that it is a natural product.

Hope this helps, there is plenty of info. on the net about it, and if I find out more I'll let you know.   :)   

Offline Marggie

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 21:27:38 PM »
Apologies for the delay in replying but thanks for the info.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf