Author Topic: I Hate Captcha!  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
I Hate Captcha!
« on: January 30, 2013, 15:34:22 PM »
I didn't know I did until today but I hate this bloody thing. Even if you don't it you probably hate it too.

What is it? It is "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart" and was invented at Carnegie Mellon University in 2000 by people who ought to be doing proper academic work involving the creation and dissemination of knowledge and not imposing such atrocities on the world. You hate their vile invention - I am sure you do.

Captcha is a computer program. It generates those invented words scrawled, in the fashion of a demented spider walking through ink, that are lie uneasily between legibility and illegibilty and which you supposed to be able to read and type into a box to prove that you are human. I usually have to have two or three attempts at different words before, possibly by chance, stumbling across the version that allows me to proceed. They might as well set one of Highlanders impossible quizzes with the wrong answers or ask in which Scottish league Rangers FC play. That would be less likely to cause apoplectic reactions.

At last one company has decided to abandon this abomination for which I commend it (although not for anything else). Let's hope it becomes a trend and then an accomplished eradication.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21260007

Offline marina

Re: I Hate Captcha!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 16:05:52 PM »
Ah yes, grumpy old woman in total agreement with you on this one Colwyn!  Though I didn't know what they called it until today.  I detest the thing and find as I'm getting older have to peer nearer and nearer to the screen to see what it says!  >:(

Should ban the whole lot of them!

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 16:09:31 PM »
Almost total agreement here except for the "They might as well set one of Highlanders impossible quizzes with the wrong answers" part of course.

And you are better at it than I am if it only takes you two or three attempts.

Offline Piscoe

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 16:19:17 PM »
Some of them are impossible to read I agree. I wonder if there are different grades of difficulty as some I find very easy and some totally impossible.

Offline Shamless2

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 16:42:20 PM »
Have you tried pressing the option to listen to the letters? It's flipping worse, it's like Charlie Browns school teacher, mwa mwa mwa mwa mwa mwa!!!!

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 16:55:50 PM »
Can you see what it is yet....

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 16:58:27 PM »
Marilyn Monroe?

Offline Highlander