Author Topic: Break in at Thera Home Apartements  (Read 6472 times)

Offline scorcher

Re: Break in at Thera Home Apartements
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 18:33:29 PM »
Probably been nicked - were will it all end ?

Offline Mistee

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 20:09:41 PM »
It appears the burglars cut the electric to the area round Thera site making it very dark. 2 Sun City villas, with Turkish residents, behind Thera were burgled at the same time

Offline tonk

• Newly Registered
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 20:46:24 PM »
Wow that's really worrying. The only way to tackle that approach would be a backup generator system which would be very costly even if the cost was shared between all the residents. With such a targeted and calculated break in it would be hard to defend

T

Offline snowtop

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 07:54:34 AM »
a friend of ours had one of these safes that require 4 men to take upstairs. a few days later, they had gone to the plaji and when they returned, lo and behold, it had been spirited away with all their valuables in. Just goes to show, even a big 'un needs to be bolted, or the thieving buggers will nick it.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 08:07:28 AM »
Of course noting is 100% foolproof.  However, I would prefer to take my chances with a big safe up a spiral staircase in a house at the end of a small one lane cul de sac which would require a vehicle to be taken passed the other houses by the thieves, where neighbours would be watching, than to put in a small safe and know that any thief can take it from the wall or the floor and carry out across the farm fields quite easily.
Thieves can and will take anything, but put bars on windows, alarm in the property and a large safe upstairs and you have a better chance of not being burgled than by not taking any precautions. As I have been told by the police in the U.K. thieves always look for the easiest in and out option. 
I also think that if you rent out a property( we don't)  you should take out all these precautions to go some way to protect the tourists paying rent.  I am reading more and more complaints on T.A. from renters of holiday  property whose holidays have been ruined by thieves, they complain there where no alarms, no bars and a tiny safe in a wardrobe that was just ripped out and taken. They also always go on to point out the Turkish Police where not interested.  There are more and more of these complaints with people saying they will not return to the area and warning others not to rent.
 If you rent your property I think you need to reassure you renters that you are taking all reasonable precautions that go towards them having a safe and happy holiday. 

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 08:34:37 AM »
Jacqui - if some people saw a long list of security measures on a property for rent would they not think that crime was rife in the area and that it was therefore not the place for them to have their holiday.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 09:20:01 AM »
No, they would feel secure, anyway it's too late now as the threads on T.A. are getting longer and longer from Ovacik to Kalkan so many people complaining about break-in's and warning others. 
So, if I was thinking of renting in the area I would go for the place with security. 
I suppose initially the owners would not have had to advertise the fact they had sensible security however, it is now becoming essential if owners are wanting future business.

Offline CLR

• Newly Registered
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 13:11:48 PM »
A couple of years ago our house was broken in to whilst some of our friends were staying. We have the wrought iron bars on all the windows and doors and we had one of the safes that Jacqui refers to (where it takes about 4 guys to carry it in!!) When our friends contacted us and said that the thieves had taken everything we asked the obvious question "Why didn't you put it in the safe?" only to be told that the safe had also gone!!! To say we were 'gobsmacked' is an understatement!! We have now had an even bigger and heavier safe installed which is buried both into the floor and quite a way back into the wall. The house is fitted with cameras above each door and is also alarmed ( I even let it go off on purpose every now and again just so that everyone knows that it does actually work and is not just a 'dummy' box!!) It makes me so sad because when we first bought our house nearly 12 years ago burglaries were few and far between and we never worried about leaving the place empty for any length of time - now we even put a padlock on the gate even if we're only going out for a short space of time. This is because one day when I was in on my own I looked out and found a strange gypsy type woman making herself quite comfortable on my front balcony - obviously casing the joint, not realising someone was home!! Scary times, we just have to be vigilant at all times and hope that someone else's house looks like an easier target than ours but at the same time not wishing it on anyone else either!!! Let's hope the police catch these scumbags soon, lock them up and throw away the key.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 14:55:10 PM »
Not in a cul de sac then ? It's always useful for the light fingered brigade to know who has got what, wHere they live and details of the size and positions of the aptly named safe- bring them on... !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf