Author Topic: Pictures on the front page of newspapers  (Read 3324 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: Pictures on the front page of newspapers
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 23:37:13 PM »
Many years ago a guy that lived four doors from us was shot dead in a local pub.
The press camped out in his front garden, they were round the back taking pictures
through the windows, they were grilling his young kids and conned them into letting
a couple of reporters in to use the toilet. They went through all the bedrooms, stole
a lot of photo's and the pictures were on the front of the papers next day.

Its all about selling newspapers.!           Disgusting.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 23:48:00 PM »
Papers want to sell more copies, simple as, especially in the current climate where online is in the ascendancy. They will choose whatever picture will help achieve this.

I have been part of many news desk/picture desk conferences where this has been the case. I've also witnessed editors deliberately choosing the most unflattering image of, say, Camilla Parker-Bowles when there were some really lovely ones available, just because that would fit better with their readers' perception of her as being ugly, horse-faced and incomparable to 'Saint' Diana.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 00:09:12 AM »
Many years ago a guy that lived four doors from us was shot dead in a local pub.
The press camped out in his front garden, they were round the back taking pictures
through the windows, they were grilling his young kids and conned them into letting
a couple of reporters in to use the toilet. They went through all the bedrooms, stole
a lot of photo's and the pictures were on the front of the papers next day.

Its all about selling newspapers.!           Disgusting.

Absolutely right - and I'm sure I've told this story on here before but we lived opposite the second person in the UK to receive a heart transplant - and our road was crawling with press from the national newspapers. We knew his mother as she worked in the local Co-op, but I didn't even know the name of this chap, and even though he lived literally opposite, knew nothing about him at all.

A man is given an amazing opportunity to live a longer and better life thanks to advances in medical technology - and what is it the press, knocking on our door, want to know?

"We understand he had an affair a few years ago, do you know anything about that?".

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 00:47:39 AM »
we were watching turkish news channels, and they were  show more carnage then you could imagine . i remember them once showing all these bodies that the army had  shot some rebels or other

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 08:44:50 AM »
Our neighbour in Turkey once showed us the front page with his daughters friend stuck under the wheel of a lorry. Harrowing picture.

Sickening what some will do for cash (I assume).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf