Author Topic: Oykum  (Read 7477 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Oykum
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 08:18:08 AM »
Jacqui -you may have post about this before but in fairness to the Oykun I think you should give more details

When my son married locally friends and family stayed in the Hotels in the area. One of my Daughter in Law's friends was coming from Malta.  The flights cost £800.00.  The friend was to be a bridesmaid.  The day before she left Malta she was made redundant.  She had booked the Oykun for two weeks at £13.00 per night.
When she arrived she was so worried that she told us she could only manage to stay for one week and must return to find new work.  We could not persuade her to stay longer. 
She asked the Hotel could she stay for one week and explained she had lost her job in Malta.  They told her the £13.00 a night deal was off it would now be £20.00 per night.  She agreed. 
The wedding was held and she had a couple of days after that.  The night before she was due to leave, we all went out for a meal and drinks.  We dropped her off at the Oykun at midnight (she was being picked up for her flight at 7.00am)  She was told at the reception she must leave her room at  3.00am as the Hotel had someone coming who had taken her room for a week.   She was told that she would have to go to the Golden Moon at 3.00am and she would be picked up from there.    She left the Oykun at 3.00am in the morning all alone and walked to the Golden Moon and stayed there for 4 hours, she did not sleep but just sat in her room.
We were very concerned when we heard she had walked alone at this time of the morning and thought she should have been accompanied by a member of the Oykun staff.
My Brother and Sister in Law stayed there and enjoyed their stay and we joined them and the bridesmaid for drinks on a few occasions and found the place very nice.
We had recommended guest to stay at this Hotel because of it's great reputation.  We would still recommend it, as long as no changes are made to the room stay.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 18:03:48 PM »
Jacqui in fairness to the question asked, it's fairly unlikely that Lance's friends will book for two weeks, lose their job and ask if they can change it for one week, and be charged double and thrown out in the middle of the night.

So your advice may be a little less than useful on this occasion :D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 18:36:59 PM »
Probably, but as Highlander asked I replied.  It's just as well to know not to try and change the arrangements, you don't have to lose your job to change a booking.  It's best that people know the facts.  ;)
I also had a bad experience with them one night of that fortnight. :(

Offline CAROL BROWNE

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 20:09:16 PM »
we love the oykun . the golden moon is just along the road from the oykun

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 20:19:49 PM »
Probably, but as Highlander asked I replied.  It's just as well to know not to try and change the arrangements, you don't have to lose your job to change a booking.  It's best that people know the facts.   ;)
I also had a bad experience with them one night of that fortnight. :(

But the hotel could have insisted on her paying for the 14 days she had booked? Thomsons wouldn't have agreed to let her off half the holiday that was arranged.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 22:37:57 PM »
we love the oykun . the golden moon is just along the road from the oykun

Yes, We are aware of the location of the Golden Moon, but would you have been happy to see a young girl (perhaps your daughter) being turfed out of your beloved hotel at 3,00am in the morning and left to walk alone to the Golden Moon.  Don't you think it would have been nice for someone to have accompanied her?

Offline JulieDiane

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 22:42:53 PM »
We have stayed at the Oykun hotel quite a few times, & a couple of times we have had to shorten or change dates, we have not had the same experience as the lady from Malta, which I have to say does seem somewhat harsh, however, knowing quite a few people that have stayed there & not had that problem, & not having experienced a similar problem after changing bookings following similar cancellation even though for different reasons, i wonder if she had spoken to Oykun himself or another staff member something different could have been arranged. I have always found the staff to be extremely helpful & our stays there excellent, this obviously does not deter from an unpleasant experience of one person & hopefully an experience not to occur with another guest at the hotel. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the hotel to friends or family, in fact we frequently have & all that have stayed there have indeed stayed again in following years. I think unfortunately as human beings we all get it wrong at times :( 

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 22:45:37 PM »

Don't you think it would have been nice for someone to have accompanied her?

Again Jacqui I must argue - at 3am there is generally only one person working at the hotel, they can't just walk out...

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 22:50:20 PM »
Yes, but she was told at 12,00am she would be leaving at 3.00am.   To Julie.  I believe it was someone on Reception called Goldie that arranged the extra charges.
I would have and still do recommended this Hotel, i believe it is one of the best places to stay in Calis Beach and not everything can always be perfect.
Having said that, my son, his fiancee's and their friends all preferred the Nevada where one of the best men was staying and they hung out there quite a lot.

Offline JulieDiane

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 23:04:51 PM »
Goldie has worked for as long as i can remember at the hotel, she truly is a reasonable person & usually very helpful, i have to say i am quite surprised at what has happened & obviously cannot speak for the hotel in its reasonings for why what occurred did. Personally i'd have taken things up with Oykun the owner when the price was increased at the start of her stay & certainly refused to leave a room with only 3 hours notice, albeit as an individual on their own at that time of the morning/night she may have felt a little insecure and out of her depth, most females possibly would. I certainly think it is an issue to take up directly with the owner & see what his response is, my daughter & her friend, both aged 19 will be staying there this summer on their first holiday abroad on their own (in fact 1st holiday anywhere on their own!!) Would i want them to experience this & have to walk to a hotel anywhere at that time let alone next doorish, not on your life would I. On saying that as scunner said there was probably no one to assist her at that time, but the timing from the hotel was equally off!!! I truly do think this is a one off, unfortunately for someone you know, but if Oykun does not know he cannot ensure this does not happen again, or put a policy into place should a similar scenario happen again.......

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf