Author Topic: BUPA Great North Run 2014  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Eric

BUPA Great North Run 2014
« on: June 09, 2014, 15:49:53 PM »
I'm raising money for The Fire Fighters Charity by taking part in 2014 Bupa Great North Run. Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/EricRobson http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/EricRobson

I am running the Bupa Great North Run for the 1st time. At 58 years old I must be mad! I am trying to raise money for the Fire Fighters Charity, a charity close to my heart. I served for 34 years in the Fire and Rescue Service and thankfully I never needed their assistance although many colleagues I served with did, for various reasons.

The Fire Fighters Charity exists to help members of the fire and rescue community who put their lives on the line every day to save others. They provide services that enhance the quality of life for serving and retired fire service personnel and their families when in need. This is usually when, but not limited to, in need through injury or death. They, like other charities, receive no other funding other than by donations and fund raising activities. I have been pleased to be involved in raising funds over my service life through various fund raising activities, and this is another one which will help them to raise money and will help me achieve a personal goal.  Read more about the Fire Fighters Charity at; http://www.firefighterscharity.org.uk/home

My training started in February. The first sessions usually ended in me wondering what was I thinking about at my age! Now the sessions are going well, so I have no doubts that I will be able to finish without too much trouble   ;). I even managed the 5K run last week.  I will keep you regularly posted about my progress and post some pictures.

Offline Eric

Re: BUPA Great North Run 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 15:23:15 PM »
Total raised so far, incl. Gift Aid:£137.50  Brilliant

Offline Eric

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 09:23:45 AM »
£175 now.  Thank you very much. ;D

Offline Firo

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:37:39 AM »
Total now £316 so still a bit to go to target of £500. Anyone who wishes to support him and the Fire Service Charity please follow the link above.
Many thanks

Offline Eric

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 09:43:20 AM »
 Well, training schedule said 8 miles today. Felt good at 8 miles, so carried on, still felt good at 9.5 miles. So I thought lets go for it and did the half marathon! So I know I can do it and I know how it feels The actual event, in 4 weeks time, will be less hilly and cooler thank goodness. Warmed down with a gentle few lengths of the pool.

£500 target and so far £341 raised. Any other donations gratefully received so please show your support of the UK Fire Fighters Charity and myself for being crazy enough to do this for the first time at 58 years old....

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=EricRobson

Offline Steve A

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 18:53:37 PM »
It's quite a punishing route,not so much hills but quite few steady inclines especially the last 3-4 miles from John Reid Road up to Redwell Bank then a steep bank down,left turn onto the coast road,steady incline for a mile then the finish in sight on the flat cheered on by the crowds that mass on the seafront.Good luck will wave as you pass my house

Offline Eric

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 21:56:30 PM »
I was brought up in Felling from the age of 6 to 16.  The route goes near my old school Heworth Secondary Modern.  Thanks for the tip for the end, I only remember going down there on the bus lol.  looking forward to it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf