Author Topic: Lira getting Stronger - Why?  (Read 296557 times)

Offline lissa

Re: Lira getting Stronger - Why?
« Reply #1210 on: August 15, 2018, 18:41:45 PM »
Also meant to say that I thought the comment on there about this forum was very unfair. All jumping on each other's remarks and also making some uncalled for remarks on that forum from what I see.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1211 on: August 15, 2018, 19:00:14 PM »
You do need a spine on here if you turn up spouting nonsense, that much is true. If you don’t like the fact that people disagree with you then it’s best you storm off in a mood. It’s a discussion forum, People seem to think it is cliquey because people disagree with them and they don’t like that.

Not a patch on that group which puts our occasional friction to shame.

Each to their own I guess. I don’t lose sleep over it.

Offline marina

« Reply #1212 on: August 15, 2018, 19:53:27 PM »
They're still at it over there! : :) ;D

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1213 on: August 15, 2018, 21:35:15 PM »
Bunch of morons.  The usual expats who think it's their God given right to get things on the cheap 'cos we live here' 

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1214 on: August 15, 2018, 22:23:25 PM »
Ooh is it still going on “on there” weve been out celebrating that the crisis is now over joking I am! We are all pussycats on here compared to some of the Turkey based fb groups! Couldnt believe some of the nasty comments last weekend all because a mother asked where in Fethiye was Mcdonalds as her children werent liking the food in Turkey  :(

Offline marina

« Reply #1215 on: August 15, 2018, 22:43:50 PM »
I'm not really sure why I joined the ex pats group. I find so many of the comments on there really patronising towards 'tourists' which becomes a dirty word amongst some of them. Either that or they are making fun of them or making nasty comments as Karennina has said. I repeat SOME, not all ex pats. It's like they were never tourists before they decided to live there.
I know there are loads of nice, friendly ex pats there, we've met  some!  ;D 

Offline sadler

« Reply #1216 on: August 16, 2018, 07:08:03 AM »
I get the impression from a few (by no means the whole of the expat community) that they were so dissatisfied with life in the U.K. that they upped sticks and moved lock stock and barrel and are now financially trapped. After a short time the rose coloured glasses slipped and they very quickly tried to turn their new paradise into a little Brit!  Coming full circle their moans and groans continued but now aimed at The Turkish way of life and towards the tourists who they resent for enjoying Turkey. Just professional moaners who resent anyone who is lucky enough to be happy with their lot. Luckily they seem to congregate in their favoured watering holes which are easily avoided. ( I would like to impress that it is only a small minority, but they make a loud noise).

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1217 on: August 16, 2018, 08:49:07 AM »
I do apologise for having hijacked this thread! Im not sure why I joined the xpats group either   :)I totally agree re some of the comments on there towards tourists...We know folk who have moved over and are really happy with life in Turkey but I do think some have made the move and now cant afford to come back to the uk which would be a truly terrible postion to be in...I know when we bought 11 years ago I was so desperate to move over and im sooo very glad Derek was the sensible one who didnt want to move over and realistically it was never a possibilty as our eldest son will always ( probably) live with us...I love the sunshine but since becoming a “certain age” in life Iv found the last few years July/ August simply unbearable in Turkey and was actually soo disappointed on coming home in July to find the uk also like a furnace! We said last trip a couple more years and I think we will be looking at selling our apartment and going back to just being tourists holidaying in hotels in different parts of Turkey...what I like love about good ole CBF is if you post about topics like “ superglue being used to glue false lashes on”, the salon ruined my daughters hair by over bleaching”, “last night I found a dead rat in me KFC” etc these topics will stay “live” to be debated as Scunner says this is a discussion forum, the amount of posts on the Turkey groups on fb that will say “an admin turned off commenting for this” as they dont want people to read the truth about their “mates” salon/ bar/ restaurant is unbelievable! Just the other week a girl wanted to warn of a salon in Hisaronu that simply did not give them the service they had booked and paid for and of which one treatment resulted in her friend getting a blood blister in her eye! She tried maybe three attempts but each post quickly had those words applied re admin turned off commenting...so for me love it or hate it long may CBF continue and I do apolgise for such a long post first thing in the morning   :) will I be seeing those famous words “ your post was removed by admin” ha ha   ;)  ;)  ;)

Offline marina

« Reply #1218 on: August 16, 2018, 09:40:54 AM »
Well said Karennina. Totally agree with you. We are, and always will be, tourists and I make no apology for that. I can't stand the heat of July and August (even mid June to mid September sometimes) so we'll carry on doing just that for as long as we want. We have no ties other than emotional/sentimental ones so we also go as 'tourists' to other places and don't go back if we don't like them. Suits us anyway   ;)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1219 on: August 16, 2018, 09:54:35 AM »
What these short sighted folks don't realise is that if were not for all the "tourists", Fethiye (and Calis) would be a very different place.  There'd be a distinct lack of watering holes and a lot of their behaviour wouldn't be tolerated, e.g. getting poured into taxis at 4pm etc.

Marinas comment that they themselves were tourists at some point is also correct.  I've heard the comment "I'm not paying that price, I live here you know" on so may occasions and even now it grates.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf