Author Topic: Health insurance for first residency permit  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Angela 21

• Newly Registered
Health insurance for first residency permit
« on: May 05, 2015, 09:59:20 AM »
Hi my husband and I have an apartment in overcik and have been visiting Turkey for several years. This year we are going to apply for residency and have been looking for health insurance that meets the residence permit requirements.  The cheapest we have seen so far is the FIT (foreigners in Turkey) from Groupama sigorta.  Does anyone know of any other companies that we may have missed?  Has anyone used this company and been satisfied or not? Does anyone know of a joint policy that would work out cheaper than two individual policies?  We appreciate your help.
Angela

Offline Lorraine

Re: Health insurance for first residency permit
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 12:57:18 PM »
Angela
I have just renewed my residency application, and spent a day last week trawling around insurance companies. Prices vary on your age, and most will not cover major illnesses within the first year e.g. heart conditions / stroke. Some provided me with a print in English detailing what is covered. Sometimes  it's worth investigating and paying slightly more. Also check what hospitals are covered by your insurance, they should give you a list. I found ozan insurance (insurance fethiye.com), very helpful and was given different options for policies. I have opted for a policy which also gives me a free mammogram at the latoon hospital, the price of the policy was comparable with others. It's worth spending some time and shopping around (as with everything in Turkey!). And remember you do not need to agree there and then, I found one agent was especially pushy in trying to sell their policy.
Lorraine

Offline Angela 21

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 09:54:37 AM »
Thanks Lorraine, that was most helpful. We will try them out.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 11:14:08 AM »
I would emphasise that it's important you choose a policy that will pay out rather than going purely on price.
Some agents offer policies that satisfy the requirements and are cheaper than most, but they won't cover anything for the first 12 months and even then there are loopholes.

As Lorraine says, shop around. Our policy is with Allianz via Cagri Nebioglu; competitive price and we know it will pay if we need it!

Offline lissa

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 21:45:37 PM »
Does anyone know the best place for insurance for those aged between 60 and 65? This seems to be a problem as many companies have cut off age at 60 on their policies. I really cannot understand how they have made this insurance mandatory for under 65's and not necessary for those over this age. Madness!

Offline jsp51

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 07:47:34 AM »
Wordbird, you mention in your post agents that offer policy's that satisfy the regulations for residency but probably wont pay for much if anything, but are cheaper. This is exactly what we are looking for as our travel insurance more than covers our times in Turkey and we would have to keep the travel insurance as the Turkish one would probably not cover you whilst in transit or repatriation if needed.
Could you please give me details of these agents.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 21:38:23 PM »
Unfortunately not, jsp51 - we did do our research but didn't make notes of agents to stay away from, simply narrowed it down to the one we went with. We plan to stay with him as he has helped us find good insurance not just for residency but for our car and boat also.
Sorry!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf