Author Topic: Turkish Humour??  (Read 5527 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Turkish Humour??
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 17:27:38 PM »
Funny that it is only Turkish resorts that are close too, nearby, or 'x' miles away from Syria, but never mention how close Cyprus is to the action.

Offline philrose

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 17:43:27 PM »

Sorry Scunner, can't see what point you are making here. Is a comment missing?

If necessary I guess there is. The point was that the chance to worry people about how close/far the resorts are from Syria is rarely missed.
Well I make more like 500 miles and then only if you are a crow!  ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 17:46:33 PM »
OK, I understand that those who love Turkey are likely to pounce on the UK press that portrays Turkey as one of the Med's dangerous destinations. At least the geography of the holidaymaker quoted is pretty good - Icmeler is less than 500 miles from Aleppo in a straight line and less than 750 miles by the winding road. But add to this that IS has declared that tourists in Turkey will be targetted by their terrorist mobile groups. Hotels in the coast might consider this before making a joke of it. Otherwise, in a year or so, they will be wailing "Oh, where have all our European tourists gone?". Tui (who own First Choice and Thompson) announced today that the Tunisian attack has cost them £20 million in lost holiday trade. What has it cost Tunisia?

For me, if I were to be dissauded from holidaying in Turkey it wouldn't be about terrorist threats. It would be about visiting a country with such appalling human rights: the world's worst record of journalist imprisonment; disgusting treatment of women; systematic corruption in government, and much more. That stage hasn't come yet; but it may become more important in the future.

Offline sadler

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 18:45:27 PM »
Funny that it is only Turkish resorts that are close too, nearby, or 'x' miles away from Syria, but never mention how close Cyprus is to the action.

Friends of mine have cancelled their holiday to Cyprus in September solely because of a perceived threat from ISIS sort naps it is closer than we think.

Offline sadler

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 18:58:00 PM »
Not sure what "sort naps" means, perhaps it is "perhaps". Bloody prescriptive text.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 19:01:51 PM »
Bloody predictive text.

Offline sadler

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 20:43:13 PM »
Yep bloody predictive text.   :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 23:38:11 PM »
My concern about terrorism in Turkey stems from the apparent fact that there 7,500 migrants on Kos now. So that is 7,500 people who managed to travel through Turkey, unchallenged and unquestioned, to get all the way to the Datca/Bodrum tourism area for the short hop across the sea to Kos.

If 7,500 can move around Turkey en masse/in steady streams with no visa, kimlik or approval to be there, I reckon ISIS personnel pretty much have the run of the place whenever they want it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf