Author Topic: Meis  (Read 8644 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Meis
« on: August 11, 2016, 17:05:32 PM »
I see Fethiye Lovers advertising trips to Meis.  Looks like a nice place and only takes 20 minutes on the ferry.  I remember years ago ex-pat members used to go to Meis so they could come back to get their passports  stamped. (Don't really remember what that was all about, before anyone asks).
My question is, is it worth a trip over?  Would anyone stay the night? Or is it just a day trip place.  I know we could drive down to Kas ourselves and get the ferry over. 
Thanks in advance.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Meis
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 17:22:08 PM »
Yes, it worth a trip over but I don't think there's enough to see to make it worthwhile stopping overnight, unless you want to take time to go on a boat trip or swim out to the blue caves.

Bear in mind the currency is Euros and the restaurants are quite a bit more expensive than, for example, Rhodes. Everything is brought in by the twice-weekly ferry from Rhodes, or one of the ferries from Kas.

I challenge you to climb the 400 odd steps up to the plateau and back again.  ;) If you do it, you've got to post pictures of the view from the top as proof.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 17:41:48 PM »
I did it once with a friend who was getting her visa stamped before she ran out of her allowed days. It was a lovely day, the very smiley man running the ferry gave us all a glass of wine. We had a nice meal at one of the little places around the bay. Then a nice walk and look around. As KKOB says probably not enough to stay over. The afternoon was enough for me though it'd be nice perhaps to break the journey and stay over in Kas for a day or 2. M and I always thought we might do that on one of our stays in Kas.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 17:43:47 PM »
There's only one road on the island and that goes up past the Army Garrison, the ruins of Castle Rosso which dates back to the Knights Templar and the crusades, and ends on the plateau at the airport. Well worth the effort for the views of the south side of the island.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 17:45:24 PM »
the very smiley man running the ferry gave us all a glass of wine.

That would have been Selo. He got well and truly stuffed as they changed the residency rules just a few weeks after he'd bought his new ferry.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 18:18:40 PM »
Thanks for that folks. Very kind of you and much appreciated.   We have a friend in Calis who has stayed at a fabulous place in Kas, so perhaps we may have a couple of days there and a trip over to Meis. 
Not sure about all the steps though KKOB.  I do go to the gym a couple of times a week, but it is nice and cool in there.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 21:10:07 PM »
There's only one road on Meis. It climbs steadily past the Army Garrison, Castle Rosso which dates back to the times of the Knights Templar and the Crusades and then ends at the airport. It's worth taking a stroll up it for the views of the south of the island.

There are several little chapels that are worth seeing and the basillica, if it's open, is definitely worth a visit.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 22:06:02 PM »
Is that a shark towards the bottom right of the photo ???

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 04:05:41 AM »
That's a periscope. They were holding the submarine world championships there. Unfortunately they had to cancel them half-way through because of the rain. It was a washout.  ;)

Offline philrose

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 07:17:32 AM »
Well worth a visit we have done it many times and love the laid back Greek lifestyle. We have at least one greek day a year in Meis and stayed over a couple of years, again it is something I would recomend  as it becomes a different place again in the nighttime.  Very quiet with just  a few little restaurants  on the harbour front and with virtually no  light pollution the night sky is pretty impressive.....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf