Author Topic: Christmas Fare  (Read 4627 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Christmas Fare
« on: December 06, 2016, 15:55:33 PM »
I'm getting ideas together for our atheist Christmas. This involves enjoying all the food and drink but avoiding the "belief" stuff. So I'm looking for ideas on must-have Christmas delights.

Ever since my two daughters were teenagers (they are mid/late thirties now) they have demanded that I make Watercress Soup for first course on Christmas Day (light and elegant, not going to fill you up before the heavy stuff cracks in). Yesterday I made Rum & Raisin Ice Cream - last year's favourite that is getting a rerun. First timer this year is going to be Spiced Red Cabbage. I am somewhat handicapped in deciding these "extras" by the fact that one daughter is vegetarian (by choice) and the other is dairy-free (by medical necessity). But don't let that hold you back ... what is your Christmas Special food and/or drink?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Christmas Fare
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 22:04:32 PM »
Ours is leek and Stilton tarts that Mrs Scunner fond a recipe for in a magazine - our Christmas Day starter. It doesn't sound particularly nice - especially for those who don't like Stilton (Mrs S + both kids then) but they are sensational - even for the Stilton haters  :)

It is a flaky pastry base and all I know apart from that is they have leek and Stilton in them. I could scan the recipe if anyone is remotely interested.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 23:11:02 PM »
Sounds lovely to me! I love leek and Stilton tarts, a really tasty Xmas starter, the flavours marry so well. Yummy!

A big favourite of ours is a 'pre prandial' taster! I think l mentioned once before that I love making nibbles before the main event to have with (often too many) drinks, and a favourite is Mejool dates stoned and filled with Stilton or Roquefort cheese, mixed to taste with yoghurt or cream cheese till light, (Turkish cheese can also be used) then  topped with chopped caramelised walnuts and drizzled with honey. It sounds complicated but they can be made earlier, are so easy to make and look good, one or two each and they're gone in seconds!

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 23:17:14 PM »

They sound delicious.        ;)

Offline Stopfordian

• Certified incomprehensible
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 08:53:22 AM »
 They look delicious too Lotte. Will they keep for two or three days refrigerated with cling film?    :)
 Or is it better to make the filling fresh?

Offline Lotty

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 09:03:42 AM »
To be honest they're usually gone so fast, I've never had to put them in the fridge. I'm sure they'd be fine for I day. I make the fillings the day before and put in a plastic bag, (snip the bottom corner to pipe) chop your caramelised nuts up and save in a jar, these can go in the fridge. Then they honestly take 5 minutes to assemble.   :)

Offline Stopfordian

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 09:12:55 AM »

Yes, it was the filling I was thinking about, but if you can prepare a day before that sounds great. Many thanks.   :)

Offline Lotty

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 09:43:17 AM »
Sorry, I don't put the caramelised nuts in the fridge, once chopped and in an airtight jar they'll be better in a dry space.  :)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 13:08:30 PM »

I much prefer my nuts be kept out of the fridge also.        :)

Offline Stopfordian

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 13:28:08 PM »

So,, chopped and in an airtight jar is preferable,,,   ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf