Author Topic: New Years Honours  (Read 2796 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
New Years Honours
« on: December 31, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »

Thoughts anyone on this years list.??  Good.?  Bad.?    Victoria Beckham, Services to Sulk.?

Really pleased that Ken Dodd received an award.Long overdue.             :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: New Years Honours
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 11:29:44 AM »
I just wonder why people get honoured for doing their job. Great charity work etc I understand but people get paid to work and that should not be honoured .

Bah humbug etc   :)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 11:33:24 AM »

Soon be over Scun'

Offline marina

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 12:17:34 PM »
I just wonder why people get honoured for doing their job. Great charity work etc I understand but people get paid to work and that should not be honoured .

Bah humbug etc    :)

Pretty much my thoughts too Scunner. Quite pleased to see Ken Dodd honoured but Victoria Beckham!!  >:(

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 13:03:14 PM »
And people who do the same job as thousands of others - but for someone of influence. Why does David Cameron's hairdresser deserve an honour but all the others who do the same thing don't?

It shows pretty much everything that is wrong with the UK.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 13:04:00 PM »
I just wonder why people get honoured for doing their job.
Yes, that's why I turned mine down.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 14:02:17 PM »
Sorry i dont mean to sound mean but why on earth and what on earth has Victoria Beckham done to receive an O.B.E i was very suprised when i stumbled across that little snippet this morning...

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 14:16:58 PM »
I'm more concerned to hear that Department for International Development chief Mark Lowcock will be knighted for 'public service'.

He's the fella that gave to go-ahead for the building of an airport on the island of St Helena that's cost us £285 million and is unfit for use by commercial aircraft.

Tory MP Philip Davies said Mr Lowcock, 54, should be known as ‘Sir Waste-a-Lot’ after presiding over a department that had become a byword for inefficiency and spends it's budget of £12 billion on foreign projects.

Offline sadler

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 15:26:46 PM »
Think I may have told this story before, if so, apologies to those I am boring! Whilst I was working with and in schools, the wife of  a "well known" local councillor who was also a local school governor, canvassed several (a lot) of local schools for heads and chairs of govs to sponsor her husband for a new year honour. She repeated this request on several occasions and finally the honour was bestowed. However, the councillor was then arrested for taking bribes (he was chair of the planning committee) and spent some time in the cells. His honour still stands. On one occasion he asked me whether I would audit the accounts of a company he owned which bought and supplied home loan equipment to the elderly and disabled and which was one of his "services to the local community". I took one look at the accounting procedures and payments/receipts etc which constituted his accounting evidence and declined his request for reasons I will leave to your imagination, and then some! He still, to my knowledge, holds his honour. Whilst I agree with acknowledging those who truly dererve to be honoured, there are many more who get theirs through devious ways.  >:(

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 17:17:30 PM »
spends it's budget of £12 billion on foreign projects.
What!!! The Department for International Development spends its money on foreign projects??? It's an outrage.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf