Author Topic: Essaouira, Morocco  (Read 3725 times)

Offline Stuart T

Essaouira, Morocco
« on: January 10, 2017, 20:17:54 PM »
Going next week for 10 days.

Back to Calis in May but fancied a change.

Does anyone have any experience of this place?

All opinions welcome....

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Essaouira, Morocco
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 00:10:16 AM »
Nice beach, really pleasant hassle free Medina (especially when compared to Marrakesh) decent restaurants. Not sure if it has 10 days worth in it though...

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 13:27:12 PM »
Thanks Keith.

I did wonder about the full 10 days.

I've booked an inexpensive guesthouse and will hire a car and - well - drive places for a few of the days - even to the chaos of Marrakesh.

Maybe an overnight or two on the road to the desert.

The guesthouse (riad) has a hammam so I can get beaten up there a few times.

Such cheap flights were irrestistible along with trying somewhere new.

Appreciate your input.

Offline Canavar2

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 21:27:30 PM »
With a car you have freedom to explore
Go to castles in the sand - Jimi Hendrix experience, try googling it, less than30 mins away, a surreal experience
Drive north to Oulidia lagoon, overnight stay, beautiful spot
And do try the fish restaurants by the fishing harbour in Essaouria itself, fresh, delicious and picturesque
Enjoy

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 21:31:42 PM »
Thank you John.

Your suggestions most welcome.

I'll be sure to give them a visit.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 21:37:37 PM »
Brief reply last night as I was working away and also typing on my phone.

We really enjoyed it  We didn't like Marrakesh at all - dirty, hassle city with very little to see apart from endless shops and bazaars.

Some random Essaouria  photos below,  it was 3 hours coach trip from Marrakech - roads pretty good, driving in and around Marrakesh is mad.

(Our wee hotel)

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 21:54:11 PM »
That's brilliant Keith - thank you.

Lovely photo's and a great family snapshot at the end - made me smile. What a happy family; lucky man!

It seems that the idea of Marrakesh is more interesting than the reality. It would be no great mistake to give it miss, it seems.

It all looks quite "open" and very pleasant in Essauoira.

Quite looking forward to it now.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to do all this.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 22:04:55 PM »
Not sure about you giving Marrakesh a miss based on what we thought to be honest - we definitely didn't like it but I know many people who adore it.

We are more than used to a bit of hassle and actually quite enjoy it, but it never stopped from getting off the bus till we got back on - all the usual lines (I'll show you the best shops, I am the waiter from your hotel, I can be your guide etc etc). It was smelly, any buildings of apparent tourist interest appeared to be 40 ft high beige walls with nothing else visible, the "famous" square is just a massive open space with little in it apart from a handful of stalls selling endless numbers of oranges, and people trying to force monkeys onto your shoulder so they can charge you an extortionate price for a photo you didn't want or ask for. Oh, and snake charmers demanding cash because you saw the snake as you walked past. 

Some people suggested to appreciate Marrakesh you need to visit it at night - to me that is like suggesting the best time to visit Fred West was when he was doing a new patio.

Scunner
Marrakech Tourist Board

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 22:27:38 PM »
Marrakesh doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all.

I've experienced apparently similar conditions in Tunisia's touristy areas and it's no fun. Couldn't wait to get out.

I'll be in a hire car so I may well be hassled from the time I park until I return. I don't go on a relaxing holiday for that.

I'll use Essauoira as a base and apart from quad biking and some local activities I plan to drive to "infinity and beyond".

I like deserts and empty places - I'll find those.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 23:32:37 PM »
A young friend of mine went to Marrakesh with her husband.  She was there two days and hated it so much that her and he husband arranged to be flown out to anywhere just to get away.  They ended up in Paris. 
She said Marrakesh was dirty, smelly full of beggars and they could not leave their hotel without being pestered by people wanting to guide them and others asking for money. 
I have been for a day to Tangier and a day to Agadir on cruises.  Sorry, but not keen at all, but our trips were brief.   I am sure with a car and getting around it will be totally different.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf