Author Topic: The charter companies are really taking the p1ss this year  (Read 9551 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
The charter companies are really taking the p1ss this year
« on: February 17, 2017, 11:18:12 AM »
I don't do charters.  Haven't been on one for years - THY and Easyjet for me when travelling to Turkey, although EJ's one o'clock in the morning arrival at Edinburgh pushes them almost into charter territory...

That said, the majority of seasonal visitors to Turkey arrive by way of charter airlines and it seems that this year the cost of flights has pretty much gone through the roof.  A lot of regular visitor I know in the UK have been moaning about it and also a few on here have not been happy with current prices.

The charter operators might argue that there is less demand and this pushes up prices (some destinations with fewer flights are often more expensive than busier ones) but that one doesn't wash because even though they've cut the capacity on most Turkish routes this season, its still a popular destination.

They also might argue that the weak pound against the dollar has pushed up prices as they have to buy aviation fuel in dollars - sorry guys, that one's a non starter as well.  The scheduled companies have to do the same and there hasn't been the same increases charter customers are seeing.

If you ask a representative of the charter companies I'm sure they could come up with a dozen other reasons why the price increases are (in their eyes) justified.

What they probably wouldn't be so keen to tell you is that the Turkish governments Tourism subsidy of $6,000 per scheduled (with a small "s" ) charter flight has been extended to the end of this year.  This is charter companies only, THY, EJ and Jet2 don't receive this - I must admit, I previously thought they did.

Not only has it been extended, if they manage to get over 150 bodies in an aircraft with a capacity of over 200, it increases by 30%!  You can guarantee they'll all be using their Airbus 321's and Boeing 757's on the Turkish flights this year.  Basically, if they have a three quarters full A321, they'll score about $50 per head.

The airports where this subsidy applies to are Antalya, Gazipaşa, Dalaman, Izmir, Bodrum and Kütahya.  It'll shortly be available to Denizli, Isparta and a handful of other airports, mainly in the Black Sea region.

Published in the official gazette on the 15th Feb.

JF

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Re: The charter companies are really taking the p1ss this year
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 11:47:15 AM »
Prices are a joke this year... It will certainly put off all but the owners and real die hard visitors.... It has helped us to make our minds up this year and for the first time in 10 years we will not be going..

Offline IanK

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 13:20:58 PM »
Cant say I've done an exhaustive analysis - but does £435 flight only from Manchester late May sound like a joke?

That the total return price for 2 passengers - similar to what we have paid over the years.

Hang on - that's actually just a little less than I paid when I booked them in October!

Ian

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 13:42:43 PM »
I didn't do an exhaustive analysis either   :)  although out of curiosity I did have a look at some dates during the summer from Glasgow, Edinburgh and Manchester.  A week in June from Manchester was nearly £900 for two with hold bags and from Edinburgh (Thomsons) well over £1,000. 

Same dates(ish) from Edinburgh with Easyjet were £200 cheaper.

But here's the cruncher - Edinburgh to Dalaman with THY on the same dates £206rtn. Ok, you have to change in Istanbul, but if time isn't an issue then hey ho - and it includes 23Kg and meals on board.

There are still deals to be had, but they are pretty thin on the ground...  unless you don't mind taking a bit longer and going via the 'Bul   :)

JF

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 11:57:40 AM »
The cost of flights this year is certainly going to damage the Turkish economy, even with their subsidies the major airlines are taking the P out of everyone

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 12:21:59 PM »
The prices from a lot of uk airports to Dalaman and other way round are extorinate this year no question! I have spent a lot of time looking online for husband/ son myself and a few other folk, never seen prices like it...i was looking for a mid oct single other day Dal/LGW not school hols even and it was stupd domething like £180 per person,i have never paid that! Its a matter of principle to me thst i wont pay that and will try and be brave enough to go via Istsnbul with a stop off for a bit a lot of difference in price found one fr a similar date £68! We are fortunate we bookd early for our outwards ones when Easyjet first released theirs...

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 13:05:59 PM »
If anyone wants some cheap flights in September, THY do Edinburgh and Manchester to Dalaman (via Istanbul) for under £250rtn.  Meals and luggage included.

I'm £301rtn from Malaga, just to Istanbul :(

JF

Offline MarKar

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 16:26:10 PM »
John you raise a good point, and I would assume it must be cheaper to run an aircraft direct to the uk than to land it in Istanbul and take off again or change aircraft which must incur more hours in labour cost, doesn't make sense does it.
I guess its just the inconvienence of time that makes it cheaper.
I've noted many airlines are offering flights at upto 30% cheaper than last year, but i haven't found any for turkey.

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 17:06:15 PM »
as i mentioned on another thread, I can fly to Rhodes taxi to Hotel have 1 nights stay in a 4 star hotel, taxi to ferry to Fethiye  and then do the same back for nearly £400 cheaper, than a flight to Dalalman

Offline marina

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 17:27:07 PM »
Crazy!  :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf