Author Topic: UK General Election/Brexit  (Read 5013 times)

Offline Ray1951

UK General Election/Brexit
« on: May 31, 2017, 21:10:53 PM »
In a week's time voters in the U.K. and expat's in Turkey and elsewhere may cast their votes for whatever party they think will do the best for the UK, their families and friends.  Living the good life albeit things are changing in the world, what does it mean to you?  The impact of Brexit may affect expats more than anything else but things are changing everywhere and in Turkey too.  What does all of this mean to you?

Offline Stuart T

Re: UK General Election/Brexit
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 22:02:20 PM »
Firstly, until comparatively recently, I may well have become an ex pat. Recent Turkish developments have determined that I will not be - certainly not in the near future.

The Conservatives are a shoo in. Teresa May will be voted in as the next Prime Minister.

Despite recent surprises regarding Brexit and Trump, the polls will have this one spot on. Corbyn is unelectable.

What it means to me is that I will continue to take 1 or 2 holidays a year in Fethiye and thoroughly enjoy all that this beautiful, warm and welcoming part of the world has to offer.

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 11:22:06 AM »

Taken from Daily Recird dated 28 July 2018
Patients, including Theresa May who relies on insulin , could be "seriously disadvantaged" in the event of a no-deal Brexit , the chairman of the UK's medicines regulator has warned.

Sir Michael Rawlins, of the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), said supplies of insulin and other medication which is not manufactured in the UK, may be disrupted in such a scenario.

Officials need to make sure drugs do not run out if a deal with the European Union is not reached, Sir Michael told the Pharmaceutical Journal.

The Prime Minister, who has Type 1 diabetes, has previously said she regularly injects with insulin to manage the condition.

READ MORE
Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab targeted in 'Scotland is region of England' fake tweet scam
The comments come after new Health and Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock revealed officials are considering working with the industry to stockpile drugs, medical devices and supplies in the event of a no-deal.

Speaking in an "personal capacity", Sir Michael told the Pharmaceutical Journal: "There are problems, and the Department for Exiting the EU and the Department of Health and Social Care need to work out how it's going to work.

"Here's just one example why: We make no insulin in the UK. We import every drop of it.

"You can't transport insulin around ordinarily because it must be temperature-controlled."

Many diabetic people rely on insulin, Sir Michael said, "not least the Prime Minister".

He added: "Disruption to the supply chain is one of the ways that patients could be seriously disadvantaged.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 11:38:02 AM »
Abbott Labs, Bayer, GSK and Eli-Lilly all have insulin manufacturing sites in the UK.

I'm not sure that they can stockpile insulin anyway. It has to be kept in a refrigerator for no more than 28 days after production. If frozen, it "kills" it.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 12:09:21 PM »

"Here's just one example why: We make no insulin in the UK. We import every drop of it.

Abbott Labs, Bayer, GSK and Eli-Lilly all have insulin manufacturing sites in the UK.

Keep the "facts" coming Ray, you're doing great :D

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 14:20:22 PM »

Actually they don't. 

Lilly's plant is in the Netherlands, Bayer and GSK simply don't and Abbott Labs primarily produce diabetes monitoring systems.
All may have had at some point in time, but not any more.

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 14:58:00 PM »
I don't know about the others but I believe GSK do - KKOB will fill in the details  :)

Offline 1calis

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 15:05:19 PM »
This is beginning to sound like project fear mark 2.

Offline saoirse

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 15:07:34 PM »
I know

Ignore the Independent . Much better to rely on those organs of truth like The Mail or Express. How's that £350 mill for the NHS coming along!!!!!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 15:34:27 PM »
I collected a pallet of Humulin, insulin for human use, from Elli-Lilly in Basingstoke just a couple of weeks ago. Delivered it to the RVI in Newcastle upon Tyne.  Pretty sure the paperwork said it was of UK origin.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf