Author Topic: First Part time job?  (Read 4740 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: First Part time job?
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 19:45:42 PM »
While still at school I "graduated" from the obligatory paper round to delivering the wonderful Aberdeen delicacy - the rowie.

First real part time job was in Millets who in those days predominately sold camping equipment.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 20:42:35 PM »
We have famous people on CBF ?

Offline Menthol

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 21:53:28 PM »
Babysat for 50p a night from 11 years old.

Friend at school then got us both a job at 13 years old cutting up and putting negatives into those film envelopes for a photographic developers studio. Can't remember how much I earned but the horrible woman we worked with used to drown herself in Freesia perfume and I have never been able to stand the smell since.

We were not allowed in a certain room, which was occupied by a young man that put photograph packs into brown envelopes. We snuck in one lunchtime and looked at some of the 'brown envelope' photos. Threw me packed lunch in the bin ...

At 16 I graduated to BHS and worked the deli counter every Saturday. I was then promoted to women's 'fashion' and later taken under the wing of the store detective and my trained nose for a tea-leaf and general wrong 'un has served me well since.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 22:34:37 PM »

On Fridays I worked through the night with a driver from West Brom' Bakery, delivering fresh bread & cakes to the shops and

taking the out of date stuff back to the Bakery. Saturdays I worked through the night with a driver for The Birmingham Post & Mail

delivering bundles of papers to the Newsagents. Sunday afternoons I cooked swill & meal and fed pigs & chickens on a

smallholding. I cant remember the wages but I was able to give my Mom money, have more than my mates, and was allowed to

take bread, cakes & fresh eggs home. School holidays I worked on building sites with a mates Dad. 

Offline busybee

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 05:36:47 AM »
Mine was working in Woolworths on a Saturday.  I was on the haberdashery for a year, I went on the sweet counter for 1 day because someone was ill and I ate one sweet.  The bosses son, who was only 12 saw me and told his Dad. When we got our wages at the end of day, I was made an example of and sacked!!!  Mortified wasnt the word!!  The supervisors on that counter had whole bars of chocolate under the counter that they were scoffing.  My Mum was furious with me.  I got another job at the first freezer shop in our town, asked why I had left Woolies, I told the truth, they gave me the job because of my honesty!!! Irony or what.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 09:20:43 AM »
Crime doesn’t pay

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 09:24:55 AM »
We have famous people on CBF ?
That surprised me too.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 09:36:11 AM »
Like Scunner mine was working in the shops and market stalls of my extended families Fruit and Veg business from about 12 or 13yrs old until about 18. Very early starts and backbreaking work. Late night/early morning trips to London for supplies and then setting up and serving in the shops and stalls (northampton and Kettering). Worst job was boiling the beetroot to make pickle. My auntie telling me not to be a wuss by plunging my hands in the hot water to retrieve the veg. Loved it!

Cue the.....

C’mon ladies, come and get your gums around my juicy plums
You don’t get many of them for a pound

Etc etc. Oh the joy of the non PC days

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 10:11:45 AM »
I had a Saturday job in my friend's grocery shop at the time we moved to decimal currency - change-over day was fun! 
My wages were a fiver plus a roast lunch at my friend's house.  That fiver financed a Saturday night out at an Ainsdale night club which included: 
Train fare Crosby to Ainsdale
4 x Gin and Tonic
Taxi home

Those were the days.
Was the name of the club Toad Hall?

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »
Yes, sometimes Mary62, but more often The Sands - are you from the area?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf