Author Topic: Travel Insurance  (Read 9162 times)

Offline suzyq

• Newly Registered
Re: Travel Insurance
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 15:43:39 PM »
It is advised by Martin Lewis that travel insurance is taken out as soon as a holiday is booked, so have always done so. It always appears however that they have the upper hand and if they can get away without paying they will, insurance companies are a law unto themselves.

Offline marina

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 16:55:09 PM »
For a few years now we've had an annual policy which works out a bit cheaper if you have a few trips a year, also saves faffing about with declaring medical conditions every time although you do have to make sure you inform them of any changes.  But, as suzyq says, you should take out a single trip policy from the date it's booked so that you are covered for any cancellation. 

It's also true that they are a law unto themselves and will only pay out if pushed.  Last year we were covered with an annual world wide policy as we were out in New Zealand early in the year and had cover for scheduled airline failure.  In October we had four weeks booked in Calis, flying out with Monarch! When Monarch went bust and we had to find new flights we ended up losing a weeks holiday.  Contacted insurers who didn't want to know about recovering money for flights, told me to contact credit card company as they would have to deal with it.  Fortunately Nationwide did very quickly.  Contacted insurers again about claiming back the week's accommodation we'd lost, and paid for, bearing in mind it was down to scheduled airline failure.

No, not interested and they pointed out it wasn't 'a direct consequence of the airline failure'!

So this unhappy bunny wrote back again telling them in  no uncertain terms that it couldn't be anything other than a DIRECT consequence of airline failure and they should re-consider.

Took them about two weeks, but eventually got an email saying they'd passed my comments onto the underwriters and as 'a goodwill gesture' were going to pay what we'd lost.  But if I hadn't pushed for it I'd have got nothing.

Highlander, I can completely understand why you didn't declare the problem you had and I would probably have done that same. 
The irony of it is of course that, if you'd just rung up and told them it had just appeared and you wanted it covering they probably would have done! 

I certainly think they are being picky in this case!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 17:13:17 PM »
I had the same sort of problem a week ago. I had some chest congestion and was put on a one week course of antibiotic. That ranks as an unresolved condition (because I would still be taking medication whilst on holiday). Since I was only away for one week I decided to get insured with a company that does not carry out medical screening. The only only conditions are that you are able to produce a doctor's letter saying you have not been diagnosed with a terminal condition, all current conditions are stable and that you are fit to travel. Failure to produce such a letter would result in any claim being rejected (I have scanned mine and am carrying e-version with me). If you are interested the company is EuroTunnel (yes,the same as that bunch who take you under the channel but their finance division) which is used by some people I know.

Offline marina

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 17:16:23 PM »
That's worthwhile knowing Colwyn, thank you.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 20:13:54 PM »
The only only conditions are that you are able to produce a doctor's letter saying you have not been diagnosed with a terminal condition, all current conditions are stable and that you are fit to travel.

Colwyn - that's very useful information. Many thanks.

Did you have the letter from your doctor before you traveled or did you only have an agreement with him/her that the letter would be supplied if required in the event of a claim.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 20:32:31 PM »
How much did your doctor charge for the letter ?

Offline scorcher

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 20:49:13 PM »
..and could you read it?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 21:22:58 PM »
Or did you have to take it to a chemist for a translation ?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 07:45:30 AM »
Did you have the letter from your doctor before you traveled
I got the letter before I travelled. Last week I was diagnosed on Tuesday morning, got rejected by my insurance company Tues pm and finally collected my letter from the health clinic on Thursday afternoon. As we were due to travel Saturday am things were rather fraught last week especially since Hilary had set her heart on this holiday. However, it worked out in the end and here we are on Lake Garda and it is lovely.

Offline suzyq

• Newly Registered
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 14:48:42 PM »
Have a lovely holiday, Lake Garda is on my to do list

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf