Author Topic: Our summary of our flight, places to eat/prices etc  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Bluwise

Our summary of our flight, places to eat/prices etc
« on: June 23, 2018, 11:27:08 AM »
For those wanting to know average prices in Calis, the below may help.  Not all prices are exact as it’s hard to remember the next day - but will give you a feel for it.  Of course, what we thought of the food is entirely our opinion so please, take it or leave it.
Apologies in advance as I do tend to drone on a bit.......

Day 01
Our first Easyjet flight (we’re Monarch mourners) and was pleasantly surprised.  I was expecting to be totally shoe-horned into the seat but it actually had a little more legroom than expected.
Flew into Antalya and were looking forward to the drive over in the hire car as we’ve rarely ventured further than a Dollie ride to Olu. The hire and drive over is a tale for another day!
By 6pm, it was wonderful to be sat outside with a G&T before venturing out for a nosey to see what’s changed ….except we managed to lock ourselves out of the apartment - even worse, the Gin was indoors!
Once our lovely host sorted us out, and we headed to Bambu for our traditional first drink on the prom.  It was very busy down there and both Bambu and Laika had artists competing  performing and it was a pretty awful noise level.  Not a chair to be had in Bambu so opted for Laika where we had a very reasonable and pleasant meal of steak wrap and Spag Bol - which was lovely - I even brought some evidence of that home with me on my T Shirt!
Spag Bol (for a good sized portion,) and steak wrap - around 45tl
G&T’s 17tl

Day 02
Huge breakfast in Bambu and nice to see Abu and Ferat there.  Great iced coffee but the breakfast was just too much - and that was a small one.  May opt for a BLT next time as we left quite  lot.
The joys of having a car meant we could then go and do a "big shop” for the heavy stuff like tonic water and beers.  We will continue to use the little shops for the daily essentials for a holiday - like ice cream, crisps and cheese but very convenient to buy it all and not have to cart it back on the Dollie!
Couldn’t find any room in our usual haunts tonight for the match so went into Kerim.  No familiar faces there any more.
Service was pretty slow but in fairness they were quite busy
G&T was awful - it was T without the G - tasted more like flat tonic and lemon.  I left at least 2 inches in the glass - cost 30 something for two - we can’t remember. 
The lady at the table next to us sent her dish back because it was cold.  Second attempt arrived about 15 mins later and that was cold too - apparently the yoghurt on top cools it down…… errrr, OK  -  can’t believe she stayed for  a third go!

They forgot my starter but our mains were quite nice - Chicken Topkapi (rice and chips of course but cold rice!) and Liver and onions.  Not too bad either.
The starter was on the bill but they forgot the 2 beers - we considered it may be compensation for the slow service, missed starter and cold rice.  Feel sorry for them as there were quite a few complaints - another table complained at being charged for a mixed grill when he was served a mixed Kebab!
Steep learning curve for Kerim I think - I miss George and Jorden being there - they were great at their job and it’s a good people watching spot.  We used to count how many people tripped up the “Kerim hump” in the pavement on the corner - yes, I’m easily amused!
Cost around 70tl for the mains but nearly half-time before we were served.
G&T around 34tl for 2

Day 03
Our plans to visit Olu put on hold as we watched a humongous storm and such a downpour.  I’ve read about so many accidents on the hill when it rains we decided to have a lazy day in and make our own version of khavalti - cheese, eggs, pink meat(?), tomatoes onions and cucumber etc
A visit to Bella Mama tonight - haven’t been for quite a while after a poor meal there accompanied by terrible service.  Tonight they redeemed themselves with great service, really good fillet steak and fresh veg. 
60+ tl for the steaks but considering that is around a tenner, exceptional value. 

Day 04
Welcome back sunshine!
Visited Brothers Restaurant for breakfast for the first time today and laughed at their advertising as being the “second best” thanks to CBF votes!
Tried 3 different opticians to find new specs - finally opted for Dunya in Calis - will report back when I get them at the weekend.  I’m hoping for better quality for the price - according to all the posts I have read on the subject.

Dinner in Bambu tonight - yes, we visit a lot but we don’t eat there often as found it a bit dull before but tonight it was fine.   Very well presented and tasty. Excellent service as usual.
Garlic Prawns/Garlic Mushrooms
Bambu special chicken & a Chicken “something” that was very hot
Ice cream/cheesecake
2 x G&T
1 x water
165tl - real value for money

Day 05
Fabulous kahvalti at secret garden today for 24tl.
Dinner at Brothers which was only OK - nothing wrong just a bit bland for us.
Ottoman Roll
Lamb Chops
2 x G&T
152tl -

Day 06
A trip to Paradise Beach was very worthwhile.  It’s a lovely setting and the staff were really good.
Delicious home-made lemonade and ginger beer.
Calis Beach Indian was our evening destination and it was as good as ever with the delightful Hulki in attendance.
A pre-dinner drink with George at Area - he’s looking very happy and well but I still selfishly wish he was back at Kerim!
2 x starters
2 x main
1 x rice, 1 x nan
1 beer and one mineral water
166tl

More to follow next week.......  bet you can't wait!  ;D :D  ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Our summary of our flight, places to eat/prices etc
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 12:10:33 PM »
Excellent guide thanks Sue

It was nice to have George down there when we stayed at the Area last year but I agree he and the Kerim need each other

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 20:18:34 PM »
Tnks for the post and info  :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 20:36:32 PM »
Great post bluwise - thanks for taking the time to post.  :)

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 21:33:03 PM »
Nice review Sue.
Looking forward to week 2 😁

Offline swindsor

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 14:06:45 PM »
I enjoyed reading your review Bluwise.    Looking forward to the next review next week   :)

Offline cenk

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 17:01:39 PM »
Thank you for the post. Great info.

SM-N950F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf