Author Topic: Lapis sitesi  (Read 4984 times)

Offline Louz

• Newly Registered
Re: Lapis sitesi
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 20:34:35 PM »
Damp proof course :-) used in the UK. Old houses have slate and newer houses have plastic DPC. Used to prevent rising damp.

Offline sadler

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 20:41:50 PM »
Thankyou. :D we had a duplex which had damp up the stairwell. It didn’t start from ground level but was all the way up the stairs. apparently it was  ingress from the wall. I know how it feels to have had the wall decorated prior to coming out for the summer and finding the plaster blown. Am interested to see how this is corrected. (We have since sold but the upset of finding the walls damp still lives on).  :)

Offline Louz

• Newly Registered
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 20:59:59 PM »
Yes you dont get over that in a hurry! If im honest i have no idea how to cure it, i could never find a solution which also forced me to sell. Such a shame as the flat was perfect for me other than that. Im hoping to buy another one without the problem...if it is a possibility that is!
I have noticed that some complexes look more 'crumbley' than others. All down to build quality i guess.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 00:06:51 AM »
It's an anagram of DPC which is sort of damp proof course  :) The layer normally a couple of bricks up from the ground that prevents moisture rising up from the ground to the walls.

DPM I call them but that's me  ;)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 14:29:50 PM »
Taking aside poor construction, the vast majority of damp issues in properties used as holiday homes is down to a lack of ventilation when properties are effectively sealed up for the dampest and wettest months of the year.  One other issue can be patio/terrace drain being blocked by wind blown debris which then allows water to pool, an issue we had in Karagozler as we backed on to the forest and the pine needles often clogged up the rear terrace drains.  Simple solution is to get property management company/friend to check them over the winter months.

Where we are in Spain many properties have issues with damp due a high water table.  Various (permanent) solutions are promoted but in our opinion few are really effective.  Our biggest issues are with the 250yr old walls, which are almost a metre thick in some places.  Allowing the walls to breathe by not using any impermeable coatings and regular maintenance to reduce flaking is our tactic just now.

I know a few folk in Turkey who set up their own form of automated ventilation by way of installing small extractor fans venting to the outside air, either solar powered or from the mains.  Never had need to do it myself but appeared to be fairly effective.

JF

Offline Louz

• Newly Registered
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2018, 15:21:59 PM »
The automated vents sound like a good idea, i will look into these :-) thanks.

A property management company this time is definately on the cards. I get a condensation issue even in my house in England but as i am there most of the time i can keep a handle on it. The rising damp issue with poorly constructed properties in turkey is so problematic,  i hope to avoid it in future!

Offline Louz

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2018, 15:41:55 PM »
I really fancied karagozler but ive heard so much about the damp there caused by the mountains that it did put me off. There is a gf flat for sale there at the moment, its lovely but im just not there enough to manage issues brought upon by there not being enough sunlight hitting the place.

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 17:47:52 PM »
I watched a video the other day regarding damp & condensation. It states not to open windows between Oct-March ( In UK) during damp weather as this just brings more damp air inside thus creating more damp conditions and condensation. Wether this would apply to Turkey I'm not sure as I've never experienced the winter months there. As John F said probably a vent would be effective or a dihumidifier if someone can switch on/off occasionally for you.

Offline Louz

• Newly Registered
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2018, 17:58:13 PM »
Definately, a dehumidifier will be one of my first purchases!

Thanks all for your help and advice, much appreciated   :)  :)  :)

Offline WendyA

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 05:44:16 AM »
I have a villa near Lapis and, luckily, have never had any damp issues (in 8 years), although it’s shut up a lot and not used very much. When I leave in the autumn I put those cheap (£1ish) dehumidifying pots in each room. They are usually full of water in May but last year I left in June and didn’t come back/put any out. Luckily there were still no problems, despite the foul winter, so I’m not sure whether to bother again, but they may help others’?  I do have the place regularly checked by a property manager though. Someone told me ‘all properties are damp on the ground floor’, but this is blatantly untrue and depends on the build quality.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf