Author Topic: Uzumlu Garden Plants  (Read 4025 times)

Offline LoubyLou

Uzumlu Garden Plants
« on: March 17, 2007, 17:45:06 PM »
Hi all

Can anyone give me any pointers on suitable plants for our garden and if there is anywhere in Uzumlu that sells them?

I am looking forward to planting our garden up, but have heard that plants you buy in Calis/Fethiye may not be suitable for Uzumlu due to the frosts in winter. I'd ideally like some fruit trees, a few shrubs and I have a courtyard garen I'd like to plants with fragrant herbs like lavender. Also a lot of climbing plants to help break up the starkness of the garden walls.

Any help would be appreciated as we are out for a few days at the end of April, before a long stint in the summer. I would ideally like to plant a few in April to establish themselves before the summer.

I have never set foot in a turkish plant centre to date and don't really know what they have available and whether it might be worth taking some small plug plants out with me (I don't know whether thisis legal either).

Thanks

Offline valentine

• Prolific Member
Uzumlu Garden Plants
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 18:15:14 PM »
It is illegal to take plants abroad because of the diseases they may carry.

Offline Firo

Uzumlu Garden Plants
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 18:35:42 PM »
We went to one garden centre at the junction where the main road from Fethiye meets the Antalya (airport)Rd and we managed to make ourselves understood enough that we told her Uzumlu and she then said which plants would do well there.
Most useful phrase I picked up was "Yok Probleme" which means no problem...with this she walked us around and went through what we liked. We were surprised to learn that Orange trees are ok but Lemons Trees were not!
Bougainvillea were not good for Uzumlu unless protected in winter but she found a blue one which was hardier.
Most of the palms were ok too and exotic flowers like bird of paradise were ok.
They will also deliver and plant if you want.
We will be going back in May to buy some and start our new garden.
Hope this helps and we might see you in the wine bar sometime!
Fi & Eric
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 18:37:30 PM by Firo »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Uzumlu Garden Plants
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 19:14:29 PM »
The mauve bougainvillea should be OK in Uzumlu but the orange, yellow and multi-colours are less hardy.

Wisteria, honeysuckle, jasmine, grape vines, passion flowers ( on a south facing wall )  are climbers that should do well.

Apple, plum, grapefruit, cherry, fig, olive, orange, star fruit, and conifer trees should all do well.

As Firo said, the staff at the various garden centres in Fethiye will be able to tell you what will survive in Uzumlu.

As for taking out plug plants, don't risk it. You'd be better off taking a few packets of seeds in your luggage. Although, you can buy Johnsons and Suttons seeds in Fethiye.

Offline LoubyLou

Uzumlu Garden Plants
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 22:43:40 PM »
Cool - thanks for your help with this.
I didn't think it seemed sensible to take plugs out there.
Any more suggestions welcome!

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Uzumlu Garden Plants
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 15:41:23 PM »
Hi LoubyLou, we learnt the hard way !  We have lost our banana plant and our lemon is hanging on, but probably will never fruit !  The bouganvillia has survived (purple) and the jasmin is romping away.  We also have hedges of canas which are doing really well.  The garden centre opposite Migros will help you and will guide you for Uzumlu.  We paid an extra £15 and within a couple of hours, they had delivered the plants and planted them for us (in the right areas of the garden for their maximum advantage).  She also planted some beautiful pots to go around the pool with miniature Pomegranites - stunning.  We are back out next week to do more.   Have fun !  (Herbs love Uzumlu !) :)

Offline wickwilly

Uzumlu Garden Plants
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 19:48:09 PM »
Apricot and peach trees also grow well here.Lemons are ok if they are sheltered from the cold winds.

WW

Offline LoubyLou

Uzumlu Garden Plants
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 20:12:37 PM »
Hi Pookie - What is Canas? I have never heard of it - I'm keen to plant some hedging. I can remember the garden centre opposite Migros - next to the lady selling basketware?
WW - a peach tree sounds interesting.
I'm not that great at growing things in pots beacuse I'm not great at watering, so I'm really after stuff I can plant out, water until it gets established and then leave to look after itself.
These are all really helpful suggestions - any more will be warmly welcomed!!

PS - has anyone tried growing nicotine plants? As a smoker my husband is keen to try and 'grow his own' - apparently our Turkish neighbour used to grow nicotine in our garden when the house was unoccupied (she also stabled her cows and goats in what are now the bedrooms!!)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Uzumlu Garden Plants
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 05:30:49 AM »
We've got several fields of tobacco growing here in Kaya.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Uzumlu Garden Plants
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 09:54:11 AM »
LoubyLou  -  sorry spelt Cana wrong !   It should be Cannas.  They are beautiful and planted collectively form a fantastic hedge / screen.  Have a look at this link   http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plantprofile_canna.shtml  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf