Author Topic: Security cameras!  (Read 5772 times)

Offline Eric

Security cameras!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 11:08:18 AM »
JSP 51, Yes we were in the house, we moved here permanently 4 weeks ago, the dog barked and we think that frightened them into grabbing what they could in the kitchen and then running.  Another couple had their mobile phones taken off the bedside table next to them whilst they were asleep.  They have caught the thieves, 4 men and 2 women, in Didem which is 4 hours away.  They were from Eastern Turkey and were on their way back there when the local Polis stopped them for speeding and found bags of 'goodies' in the car.  As for the camera's, it is NOT the ex-pats who are asking for them, it is the local head of the Jandarma who wants them to protect ALL residents of Uzumlu, at least one of the houses broken into was a Turkish resident.  The head of the Jandarma explained that if he had cameras on the main roads into and out of Uzumlu (there are only 3 roads) he could have seen any cars leaving at the dead of night and ran a trace on them and then if he had found the car was stolen or from another part of Turkey he could have acted on that.  He knows who everyone is in the village, he has a file on everyone, I know because I have seen ours, and he knows who is out and about.  If he see's a stranger or strange car in the area he can keep an eye on it.  I for one am not afraid of 'big brother' how many heads of police in the UK can say that they know all their residents?  The file on us is reassuring not worrying as we know he has the safety of ALL residents of Uzumlu in mind.

Eric and Fi

Offline lynx

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 13:25:48 PM »
We are British residents and have been living in Turkey for 4 years. These last 6 burglaries were not the first here in Uzumlu and were not a 'one off'. There have been several other buglaries here. Unfortunately there will be more and more, especially with so many foreigners moving to Uzumlu in droves. It is mainly due to so many of us living here that the village has been experiencing the problem and bringing the thieves onto the 'locals' doorstep for them to suffer too. So for those of you who don't feel that the problem exists or won't worsen then you are living in a dream world. For everyone's information the intruders do not just target us Brits but also Turkish families - that's why so many Turkish people have bars on their windows and doors. Neither do they target just empty properties. In fact they prefer properties with owners/guests in residence. This way they have access to more useful items like jewellery, cameras, mobile phones, money and passports. Many burglars use a spray which keeps sleeping owners asleep whilst they go through your bedroom. It is definitely up to owners to help secure their own properties and make it more difficult for 'would be' intruders. However the idea of cameras on the entry/exit roads does not worry us as we have nothing to hide and would not feel 'spied upon'. The Jandarma do a very good job but have very limited resources here in Uzumlu and have 6 other villages to police. If a couple of cameras help the Jandarma in their fight against crime and keep this village 'burglary free' then what are you all worrying about? If you were burgled yourselves and the thieves were caught and your items (possibly sentimental items)recovered, due to security cameras, surely you would all be delighted that the cameras were in place! We too would prefer to live in an 'ideal world' without the need for security cameras, however this is no longer an 'ideal world'

Offline norfolk N chance

Security cameras!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 17:26:22 PM »

#304; have been visiting üzümlü for many years, and in that time i have met many of the british people who now reside there.
Most of them are realy nice people, while some are out to make money at every opportunity. #304; bet the person who will fit the cameras is an ex pat(3 guesses who boyo).

The suggestion was not made by any of the ex policemen living in üzümlü, and there is no and never was a residence association, the monthly get togethers were for social reasons only.
You may be sitting in the wine bar chatting and having a drink or two,but remember walls have ears.
CCTV has its uses but they are unnessesary in this small village.
Dont spoil it.

Offline Eric

Security cameras!
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 18:16:08 PM »
Why oh why do people come on this forum to bad mouth other people, especially when it is their first post.  Peoples opinions on subject matters differ but should be valued.  "I may not agree with your opinion but I will defend with my life your right to say it"  Oscar Wilde I believe, it should still hold true today but libelous statements should not.

Offline norfolk N chance

Security cameras!
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 20:24:49 PM »
how sad if the cap fits:(

Offline nicko

Security cameras!
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 20:27:33 PM »
Eric, thankyou for echoing my thoughts. Like you I understood the forum to be an opportunity for social interaction and sharing views, not an opportunity to take a verbal swipe at fellow residents. Following some of the statements on this topic I was tempted to remove myself from the forum, but your commonsense view has restored my faith.

Offline Eric

Security cameras!
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 21:05:03 PM »
norfolk N chance - I presume you are talking about yourself with your comment or is it another swipe at some one.  nicko - thank you very much, like you I was thinking about removing myself but then thought no, it is a very informative site, if people treat it right, and we have gained loads of very good advice from people on here.  Thanks to all those who have helped, and we will be staying.

Offline Firo

Security cameras!
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 21:38:13 PM »
Norfolk n chance....who are you?
You come on this thread without even having the courtesy to go to members introductions and then start having a libelous dig at "boyo".
As a Welsh person living in Uzumlu (one of a few I hasten to add) I find your accusations condesending and rude. If you are unwilling or unable to name the "boyo" you are refering to then please keep your comments to yourself. Comments like those are insulting to all the Welsh who are happy living in Uzumlu.

Scunner are the moderators watching this and reminding new members to introduce themselves because new members who start their membership by accusations are not welcome in my view to what otherwise is an excellent forum.
Fi

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Security cameras!
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 21:40:04 PM »
eric and firo, sorry to hear about your burglary so early into your new venture, my sister had the same treatment, it is a shame to need cameras to make you feel safe but it is a reality with the growing number of people moving out there and the riches to be had by these people, good luck and best wishes for the future.
Norfolk, try and introduce yourself before putting your views across in the manner you have done so, it might give your arguement more credibility if we knew more about you.

Tinx

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Security cameras!
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 21:43:00 PM »
Evidently I cant type as fast as you Fiona:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf