Author Topic: Water shortages  (Read 5293 times)

Offline lynx

« on: July 09, 2007, 21:48:09 PM »
The water problems here in Uzumlu are now at crisis point. Much of the village is experiencing up to a week with no water at all. The belediye tells us that it is a pipe problem. However we have this 'pipe problem' every single summer and the 'problem' last for weeks. Every year the problem is more serious and last for longer and longer periods. This 'pipe problem' is just not true as sometimes the water comes on late at night at around midnight but is off again when we get up at 6am. Don't tell us that this 'pipe problem' was being worked on until midnight. We are convinced that someone further up the line is tapping into the pipes to water their crops/trees. We know this is done as we have seen it happen. Whilst we can all fully understand the need for any farmer to water his crops it is unacceptable that everyone else is left without even a few hours water every day. Water is more important than electricity. We get fed up not being able to have a shower for days - or worse still not being able to flush a toilet. Having a reserve water tank only helps if the water comes back on again allowing this reserve tank to refill. Often the reserve tanks are empty for days due to no water coming in to enable the refill. Once again it is 100% down to the number of houses having been built here by greedy builders who don't give a damn about the lack of basis utilities and the belediye who constantly give building permission to these builders. It's about bloody time that the belediye stopped allowing any more properties to be built and all the builders with properties unsold the ALL others under construction now, made to pay to upgrade the water and electricity supplies. We only need a few more properties to be sold and be occupied (even as just a summer home)and NONE of us will get any water or electricity at all.
ANYONE THINKING OF BUYING A HOUSE AND MOVING TO UZUMLU - THINK AGAIN. It will be YEARS before the utilities in this village are anywhere near adequate to cope with the properties which are already occupied - let alone additional properties.

Offline Susan1

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 05:22:51 AM »
When we were over we had the odd time when we did not have water, but not that bad.

You say about the farmers tapping into the water to water their crops.

Well the Brit people who live next door to us, water their garden every day and I think the amount they use they must be teaching the plants to swim, I have never seen anyone waste or use so much water, on the garden and washing down of the patio and their shade netting fence, so much water is used they drown our paths as well, maybe if people like these cut back a bit there would be less of a water problem.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Water shortages
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:48:56 AM »
We had this problem last summer too, and it only seems to happen between July and August, we haven't had too much of a problem at other times.  We put it down to part of the 'joys' of living in the Turkish countryside.  We always have loads of bottled water available and get up in the middle of the night to have showers etc !   We've learnt to adapt  :)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Water shortages
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 07:57:11 AM »
Thanks for doing a great selling job for my mates house in Uzumlu!

Seriously though - I can't imagine a water SHORTAGE in that part of Turkey. It must be a supply problem, caused, I would imagine, by the number of new houses that have gone up over the last few years.

The only answer is to contact the Belediye and complain. Water is a basic human need and nobody should have to do without it for days on end - especially in a country that has such high temperatures.

Stoop

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Water shortages
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 08:01:09 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by lynx

Whilst we can all fully understand the need for any farmer to water his crops it is unacceptable that everyone else is left without even a few hours water every day.

Since the farmers were there for generations before you, I doubt you will get much local sympathy.

Of course it is not a good situation but I am sure the farmers have been  sourcing their water the same way for many years. You can't move into a community and point fingers at locals in a "you can't do that anymore, we are here" way. Nobody sent you to live in a rural farming area half way up a mountain! Just because you arrived you expect the locals to change their ways and affect their livelihood?

There are ways to help yourselves - reserve tanks, tanks for delivered water, even an artesian well (yes you can, even in Uzumlu).  

There is a growing feeling here that outsiders move here because it is just so wonderful, then try to change it to suit themselves.

Brits complain that the locals use all the water, leave their BBQ mess on the beach, spit in the street...

Tough! We are their guests and have no right to move, settle in then point fingers or try to tell the Turkish how they should live their lives to suit ours.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Water shortages
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 08:24:57 AM »
Stoop :  Yes,  water is a human right, but it is readily available in bottles and we have to adapt.  It certainly is a supply problem, and at its worst when all us holiday makers are out, in the heat of the summer, watering gardens, filling pools, using our four showers, two baths and not understanding the consequences it has on the reserves and system.  Something does need to be done, but in our mind it is the crops that come first, the locals second, and if there is any left for us, yes we grab it when it is available.  Perhaps we should grab our loofahs and wash under the crop sprinklers ! :-\:D

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Water shortages
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 08:35:17 AM »
Scunner:  we must have been posting at the same time.  You have summed it up perfectly, this was just what I was trying to say, but didn't do such a good job as you.  Thank you  :)

Offline sunnyd

Water shortages
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 09:09:43 AM »
I completely and whole heartedly agree with Scunner and Pookie!!! You choose to live in a tradtional Turkish country village... the locals have been there years and years before villas started cropping up all over the place. Give a little thought to them... while you are wanting water, like pookie said, for your garden of flowers NOT vegetables, your swimming pool, and however many bathrooms, the farmer is wanting the water to water his crops to feed him and his family! [:(!]

Offline ECHOSTAR

• Uk and Sky Tv no Problem
Water shortages
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 10:46:06 AM »
i thought people moved out her because the way of life not to change it prehaps i am wrong this is why we are here

Offline ECHOSTAR

• Uk and Sky Tv no Problem
Water shortages
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 10:57:23 AM »
when we had a water problem here in tasyaka we went to the springs on the way to Uzumlu and filled up aload of containers yes it was inconveient but still could wash drink and cook sorry i think iam missing somthing because i don't see the problem

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf