Author Topic: Proposed Cement Factory in Uzumlu  (Read 20217 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Proposed Cement Factory in Uzumlu
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 10:15:17 AM »
From 'Land of Lights'

http://www.landoflights.net/haberdetay.asp?id=665&B=We%20don%92t%20want%20Cement%20Factory%20in%20our%20midst!

'All the planning permissions and relevant meetings have been held and approved and, whether liked or not, it should go into production in 5 years time, although the building time table also varies from source to source.'

I really hope you can stop it as it will spoil a lovely part of the countryside.

Stoop

Offline Eric

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 12:05:24 PM »

Stoop,
Passed the link on to one of the organisers and this was the reply.

That is a quote from an article by Susan Tetkin( very involved in the protest) and it was said by the son of Halil Uran (company owner currently in prison) who attended our first protest.
It was decided we cannot trust what he says!  Same spiel the Koru villagers got, lacking some crucial facts!

Fi

Offline Don

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 13:11:06 PM »
Eric & Fi, thanks for the info about the meeting lets hope this monstrosity can be stopped and the people with the power to stop this going ahead will listen to reason. Is there any way those of us back in the UK can sign the petition, if so let us know

Don & Tracey

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 13:33:18 PM »
quote:
Reason given by them for building it was it would save them 20 ytl per bag.

But, you can buy cement in Fethiye for about 7 YTL a bag ! Is he on drugs ! :D

Offline Eric

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 14:35:42 PM »
KKOB who knows  ;):D

Offline Eric

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 14:40:07 PM »
Don I will see if we can get something via web & let you know.
See you soon
Fi

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 15:20:39 PM »
oh bugger.
What are we doing to our planet ?  Just when we have found our little bit of paradise some idiot comes along and wipes it out.  

Eric -  we would love to help, but are stuck in UK until october - will they take emailed signatures for the petition ?

Offline hamilton

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2007, 16:50:48 PM »
We are coming to live in Uzumulu probably be in September, is there any way we could get names onto the petition by proxy. Maybe a petition could be lodged on the Forum and we could add our protest that way. Is there anything that we can do in the UK?
Tony

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 17:34:01 PM »
You can protest, petition and jump up and down as much as you like. If the Turks want this there is little we can do. They certainly won't listen to a load of 'millionaire'Brits or take our views into account.Sorry to be so cynical but having lived here for 16 months nothing surprises me any more. How come if this has been on the cards for some years none of us were told about it when we bought our properties? Because it did not suit the land owners/builders/estate agents. The factory may be stopped if the Turkish vested interests locally take up the cause. We are bit part players in this.

Offline Eric

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 17:50:46 PM »
Chris Tippett,
We only know of it now as it has only recently come to light,and as I have already said no public consultation was taken in Incirikoy or Uzumlu only in Kuru Koy which has approx 20 inhabitants and they were sold it by way of a new road and local jobs.
As far as local Turks with vested interests being involved, the protest was started by them and they came to tell us expats who have chosen to live here. Our Turkish builder knew nothing about it till the current action began and he came to the meeting. There were a good proportion of Turks at the meeting who were quiet vocal in their opposition so your comments about "millionaire brits" I find very cynical.
You have 2 choices go with your cynicism and do nothing or join in with others of all nationalities and at least try to stop it.
I am ever an optimist and while there is a chance we all maybe able to do something I will try and if unsuccessful at least I know I will have done my best.
I hope you will choose to join us and fight it.
Fi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf