Author Topic: Proposed Cement Factory in Uzumlu  (Read 20581 times)

Offline Eric

Proposed Cement Factory in Uzumlu
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 18:05:02 PM »
Pookie & Hamilton,
We are trying to work out the best way to let parties in the UK, who want to support the cause,do so,so please keep reading and I will update as soon as we have worked something out.
As for help.... if you have any journalist contacts????:D
Thanks guys & gals
Fi

Offline saoirse

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 18:15:27 PM »
Eric. Your work on this already is very very commendable. Your enthusiasm and determination are most admirable and indeed quite inspiring. I have land (am due to build a villa) in Uzumlu and intend living there. I currently have an appt in Fethiye and will be out for some weeks soon. I will most definetely want to sign the petition and assist in any way I can. Your efforts are very much appreciated by everyone I have spoken to online and by phone who are now (in no small way down to you) aware of this scandalous proposal.

Offline Jo Tomkinson

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 18:27:15 PM »
Hi Eric

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  Like some of the others, we won't be over until October, but are happy to sign a petition if you can get something organised.

Uzumlu and that area has to be amongst some of the most beautiful places on earth - I really do hope it doesn't get spoilt.

Offline nicko

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 18:33:33 PM »
Eric and Fi, we echo Saoirses' appreciation of your efforts on our behalf. We'll be out there on the 27th August for 4 weeks, so anything we can do then, including signing the petition if not too late, please keep us in mind. In the mean time have contacted our developer (Orka) who say they knew nothing about it! and will encourage them to get involved in the protest. As they have a planned development on the Incirkoy road they ought to be alarmed.
Is there anything we can do from here, ie. contact the Embassy or organisers of property sales events to publicise the possible blight on development in Uzumulu?
See you soon
Pam and Nick

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 18:54:53 PM »
Eric, you really believe your builder knew nothing about this when he was taking your money??? Funny that now this is out in the open him (and I expect all his coleagues)will, belatedly,try to stop the factory going ahead. They can see the end to the 'gravy train'if this issue hangs over the village for the coming months. Being very cynical again at least this may put a halt to the never-ending spiral of house building in the area (most unsold)which itself will destroy the village.

Offline Don

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 19:20:41 PM »
Well Chris you are being cynical because you are part of the never ending spiral of house building in the area just because you have got your little piece of paradise does not mean that nobody else can. When we bought our villa there was only 3 properties in our little field now there are 6 with more on the way that's just the way it is.
At least Eric and others are trying to do some thing about stopping the factory being built, and not just sitting around moaning about it

Offline nicko

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2007, 19:22:59 PM »
chris tippett,
I've known Erics' buider and his wife for 5 years now and would be very suprised if he is telling anything but the truth. You should be careful about making such derogatory statements on an open forum such as this.

Offline saoirse

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 19:25:36 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Don

Well Chris you are being cynical because you are part of the never ending spiral of house building in the area just because you have got your little piece of paradise does not mean that nobody else can. When we bought our villa there was only 3 properties in our little field now there are 6 with more on the way that's just the way it is.
At least Eric and others are trying to do some thing about stopping the factory being built, and not just sitting around moaning about it

very well said

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 19:53:10 PM »
Don, I'm not sitting around moaning - I'm just being realistic and I'm just not getting too worked up about something I (and I expect the Brits here) can do nothing about.By all means send in petitions, hold meetings but the Turks will continue to do their own thing whatever our views. With regard to the house building - my point is not to deny people the chance to live here but to highlight the existing amount of housing stock and sell that BEFORE allowing more building. This unsold stock of houses is deflating property prices here and I believe this is a much more real issue than whether a cement factory may or may not be built locally.

Offline Don

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2007, 21:19:53 PM »
As you rightly pointed out chris "the turks will continue to do their own thing whatever our views" if that means building more houses then they will do so, what if it deflates the property prices as you say, people have bought property in uzumlu not to make a profit but to enjoy the lifestyle. Which will be destroyed by the factory not just for us brits but for the Turkish people who have lived here long before we arrived. So it not just us who is against the factory but everyone in the village.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf