Author Topic: Proposed Cement Factory in Uzumlu  (Read 20594 times)

Offline Eric

Proposed Cement Factory in Uzumlu
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 21:29:45 PM »
Chris Tippett,
Firstly my builder and his wife are personal friends and were for many years before we bought from them. His parents live very close to the proposed site, do you really think they would not have done something about it if they knew about it?
As far unsold properties, this can be mirrored in the UK.It seems you are more concerned about unsold houses affecting your house price than the harmful effects that the pollution will have on yours and everyone elses health young and old.
Please take the time to read Fi's posts and you will see
IT'S THE TURKS WHO ORGANISED AND STARTED THE PROTEST (sorry Scunner I am Shouting) by implication you are slandering my builder and everyone else's which includes Scunner.
If you do not want to aid this protest(your choice which I respect) then please keep your cynical views to yourself as everyone has read and understands your opinion and let those of us who want to try and do something positive get on with it.
Thanks for all the positive supporting messages and Fi will keep in touch with you all to let you know what you can do.
Eric & Fi

Offline Eric

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2007, 21:57:45 PM »
This is a copy of the English translation of the original Turkish Petition. We are still trying to organise someway of UK residents signing it so watch this space.
Thanks
Fi

To the Area Governor of Mu#287;la

Complainants         Signatories on attached lists.
Complaint about         Uranta#351; and unnamed companies, Fethiye, Mu#287;la.
Subject of the complaint   A protest against the above companies' planned Cement Factory in the valley of Ye#351;il Üzümlü.

DETAILS
1   The above named Uranta#351; company and unnamed companies, opened a stone quarry on land in the village of Sahil Koru Köy, in the Fethiye area of the province of Mu#287;la.  The quarry is still active.
2   The Üzümlü valley is renowned for its natural beauty and clean air and for these reasons both locals and many foreigners have chosen to live and settle here.
3   As if the above companies' stone quarry has not already destroyed enough of this natural environment, they are now proceeding with plans to build a cement factory on their site overlooking the Üzümlü valley.
4   The active and ongoing work of the company in this stone quarry and their use of dynamite have wrought visible and lasting damage to the valley and the nearby village of &Incirköy.
5   It is well known that stone quarries and cement factories cause damage and pollute the natural environment as well as being detrimental to human health.  If we look around this country, it is usual for cement factories to be situated far from residential areas in order to minimize the effects of the pollution and the possible damage to health.  In this case the above company intends to place their planned cement factory in the midst of an inhabited area.
6   This heavenly environment makes it a place where people want to live, it now appears that an insatiable greed for wealth is coming in to spoil this, we wish to peacefully negotiate against this happening.
7   The local natural beauty and the clean air has attracted hundreds of thousands of lira's worth of investments and we feel it is our constitutional right for the area to remain clean and attractive.  We do not look kindly on this or accept that our constitutional rights should be overridden by any person or by any means.
8   We respectfully give notice that we will use every legal avenue we can find to stop the destruction of this small corner of paradise by people who seem to be only intent upon the pursuit of wealth.
9   This petition has been prepared to obtain local support to protest against those, who out of greed, are planning to destroy the peace of our homes and the natural environment.
                           08 08 2007

Offline Eric

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2007, 22:16:34 PM »
For all of you who wish to support the protest I have created an online petition you can sign.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Uzumlu/

Thanks
Fi

Offline jo b

• Chandler's Ford, UK
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2007, 07:08:05 AM »
We have friends that have a house in Uzumlu and love to visit them and the lovely village and beautiful valley and fully understand your concerns and have signed the petition.

I don't know Chris - but he is in entitled to his opinion even if it is not the same as yours or mine. Please don't turn an important topic into another slanging match.

As a regular forum member I've seen a few of them-and though not directly involved I find them quite uncomfortable to read- it is amazing how the written word can quite easily take a bullying under tone(am I the only one?).

Lets hope the powers that be see sense and refuse permission for what will be an eyesore and have huge implications on Uzumlu and surrounding areas.

Offline Eric

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2007, 07:43:01 AM »
Jo b,

We totally agree with what you are saying.  This is an important issue and we do not want it to turn into personal attacks and slanging matches.  To you and others who have signed the petition, thank you very much.

We will endeavour to keep everyone informed and avoid slanging matches.  (Mods please note)

Eric and Fi
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 07:43:53 AM by Eric »

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2007, 08:13:26 AM »
Wishing you all the best Eric & Fi. Is this proposed cement factory an indicator that the Uzumlu area will be having a lot building work over the next few years? Which means unfortunatly that Uzumlu won't the be quaint valley it is now in just a few years and its just an unfortunate result of progress.

Offline voyageur

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2007, 08:45:56 AM »
Did not notice too many Turks at the meeting
quote:
Originally posted by Eric

Chris Tippett,
Firstly my builder and his wife are personal friends and were for many years before we bought from them. His parents live very close to the proposed site, do you really think they would not have done something about it if they knew about it?
As far unsold properties, this can be mirrored in the UK.It seems you are more concerned about unsold houses affecting your house price than the harmful effects that the pollution will have on yours and everyone elses health young and old.
Please take the time to read Fi's posts and you will see
IT'S THE TURKS WHO ORGANISED AND STARTED THE PROTEST (sorry Scunner I am Shouting) by implication you are slandering my builder and everyone else's which includes Scunner.
If you do not want to aid this protest(your choice which I respect) then please keep your cynical views to yourself as everyone has read and understands your opinion and let those of us who want to try and do something positive get on with it.
Thanks for all the positive supporting messages and Fi will keep in touch with you all to let you know what you can do.
Eric & Fi

Offline Eric

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2007, 09:17:19 AM »
The people who were giving us the latest info at the meeting were Turks and then it was translated by Sue Tetkin.
How many is too many?  ;)
Fi

Offline jsp51

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2007, 14:59:33 PM »
Eric and Fi, we have a house in the village and are very concerned, not so much with the house prices but the damage that could be done to this beautiful area, and will be more than happy to sign up to this petition.
We already noticed a vast increase in white dust in and around our house this year, when we came in March. This I presume was from the stone quarry on the hillside oposite, this will only get worse with the advent of this factory.
My partner is coming out next week and will sign it if you can let us know where we can find the petition.
We appreciate your work and also I sympathyse a little with  Chris Tippet as I sort of understand what he is saying as I have seen things happen in Turkey whether locals want it of not, unfortunately the size of the backhander invariably has a lot to do with it, however I fully support your views that if we sit on our backsides and do nothing then it will definately go ahead.
At least we can at some stage say we tried, hopefully we with the help of Turkish locals succeed. (at last a poitive note)
Please let us know where we can  sign the petition in person.
Thanks a lot

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2007, 15:05:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by chris tippett

Eric, you really believe your builder knew nothing about this when he was taking your money???

I believe that.

I knew nothing about it.

The 70 or so agents I know to chat to didn't seem to know about it.

Calm down Chris, it isn't all backhanders and hidden agenda's here - sometimes people simply don't know the future  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf