Author Topic: Cement Factory Protest meeting  (Read 10397 times)

Offline calvin 1949

Cement Factory Protest meeting
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 07:11:41 AM »
Hi thanks for that,we were at the meeting but a lot was lost in translation just read the latest copy of land of lights the only metion about meeting was made by A Naci Dincer ,shocked to see nothing from the editorial team,i thought that as a local paper some thing like the proposed developement of
the cement works would take presidence over tourists getting fined for playing bingo COME ON LAND OF LIGHTS GET YOUR PRIORITIES RIGHT,Calvin
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 12:24:44 PM by calvin 1949 »

Offline Firo

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 18:27:11 PM »
In defence of LoL I only received the translation of the speeches today and it was sent straight to them and the Fethiye Times so no doubt it will appear in both soon.
Both papers have been very supportive of the protest publishing any news we have.
Thanks
Fi

Offline AndyLin

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 20:59:01 PM »
I to was at the meeting as I own land in Koru Koy, understood some but not all. Thank you for the translation. So happy to see so many people there.

Offline calvin 1949

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 05:58:14 AM »
Whoop,s put my foot in it again sorry

Offline Firo

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 15:09:38 PM »
No problem

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 18:38:58 PM »
Amused to read A.Naci Dincer's short comment on the cement factory row (Land of Lights 9-15 Oct page 4) - "the dust originating from the factory.....would stick to the moist skin of the salamanders living only at Uzumlu.....". No mention of the moist skin of the residents and the small matter of the decimated property market. So long as everyone's priorities are in line. As I said some time ago we are of no concern to the Turks - we count less than a slimy lizard!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 19:01:36 PM »
At last, confirmation that to some, this isn't about beauty, health or nature, it is entirely about you and your own personal financial value.

I have admiration for Fi, Eric and those who have the future of Uzumlu in mind, but I suspect they could do better without contributions from you.

I speak my mind like you do, and to me I care far more about the effect on the salamanders than the effect on the value of your property.

Your bigoted stereotyping of the entire Turkish people is racist and totally incorrect. The Turkish people I know appear to care about their foreign neighbours as much as their own.

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 19:14:38 PM »
Well said Keith, I've been trying to find a positive, friendly or helpful post from Mr Tippet, apart from his original salutation, no success.

The mind boggles that he actually lives in a country he shows little, or no respect for, or it's people :(

Nowt as strange as folk.............

Offline Firo

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 19:56:25 PM »
Thanks Scunner & Cef ....I was for once (not often I admit  ;))lost for words after reading Chris Tippets post.
He seems to be only worried about his personal investment in Uzumlu. The article quoted was highlighting the Red Lists endangered spieces of Salamander found here and some think this might be one of the things that can win the case.
He obviously cannot read as there is plenty written in the translation of the 29th Sept meeting about the health dangers to the people who reside in the area( and thats all nationalities) and can I add it was all said by Turkish people who care about the enviroment so in my mind he's talking out of his a..e!
Healthy debate I can handle but someone just concerned about his properties value is of no interest to me and the others spending our time & energies doing our best to help our Turkish neighbours stop this project.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 20:24:21 PM »
Keep the faith- you will always come up against a difference of opinion but you must fight for what you feel right. If this is the welfare of a lizard or a small corner of the Turkish countryside then so be it. I have been watching this thread with interest and wish you all the success the campaign deserves.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf