Author Topic: Cement Factory Protest meeting  (Read 10484 times)

Offline friar tuck

Cement Factory Protest meeting
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2007, 10:10:03 AM »
I think the NIMBY argument is secondary to the fact that this fight is being fought by ex pats that have or intend to retire to Üzümlü and . monetary  gain is way down the list, preserving the enviroment for themselves may be deemed selfish but is a good cause to fight for. Üzümlü may not be everybodies cup of tea but it is a place I love, as are the people who live there no matter what nationality.
 :)

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2007, 22:13:36 PM »
Hi again Carole. When I referred to cheaper housing please note that I said we, including myself. I bought a modest Duplex in a place that I love. The fact that I could not afford it in many other Mediterranean or Aegean locations helped me to discover Turkey and makes me even happier to have a place here. Only wish I could relocate permanently.
Cheers
Ken :D
p.s. Where are you from in Cumbria. Before retirement I worked at least two days every week in Workington and stayed at Great Broughton.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2007, 22:21:04 PM »
Let's face it. There are those who intend to make a life in Uzumlu who are appalled at the prospect of a cement factory being built where they live. There are also those who either bought to make a profit or have their houses up for sale, who, quite understandibly, did not want the prospect of the factory being built to become common knowledge.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 22:21:50 PM by stoop »

Offline carlan

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2007, 05:56:40 AM »
As I understand it the cement factory has been given the chop, with enormous thanks to all those who put up such a tremendous fight on everyone,s behalf, so should we still be bickering over peoples motives for wanting the project scrapped? I think we all agree, our chosen part of Turkey is beautiful, why would we not want to keep it that way? Even above that though, I'm sure  we all put a higher value on our health than a pile of bricks and mortar!

Ken. I live in Sedbergh near Kendal, 'the gateway to the Lakes' (For now anyway!!)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 07:46:41 AM by carlan »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2007, 07:12:28 AM »
Yes, maybe now is time to just be stop questioning each other and be grateful it didn't happen, whatever your personal objections may have been based upon.

In the Uk I lived in Leighton Buzzard 'the gateway to the Luton'

Offline friar tuck

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2007, 08:26:04 AM »
Got to agree looks like thanks to Fi Eric and the locals the fight is nearly won and got to agree with kenkay where ever you are in this beautiful country you will say it is the best that surely is the Beauty of Turkiye.
 :):D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf