Author Topic: Calis, fethyie or Olu Denize- advice Pls  (Read 9081 times)

Offline davidzz

Calis, fethyie or Olu Denize- advice Pls
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 12:01:14 PM »
I would agree on Oludeniz as a great place for a holiday but you could always choose Ovacik, which is near Hisaronu, for your accomodation.It is quiet and relaxing great for walks or lazing around but also well positioned for getting to Oludeniz beach,Fethiye town ,Kayakoy village etc.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 12:37:41 PM »
From a parent of a 14 year old, to another - def Olu region.  SO much for the whole family.  It can be a bit noisy in the evenings, but not even in the same league as Marmaris.  (Take Marmaris and reduce by 80%, add atmosphere, amazing scenery, lovely people and just a few shops - magic !).  My daughter and her friends love it.  Sports galore too.  In fact, thinking about it, you should use Marmaris and Olu Deniz in the same sentence !  We recently picked up some friends who were staying in Marmaris about bought them to Olu for a couple of days, and they didn't want to go back !!  Can't recommend it enough.  Have fun  8)

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 12:40:27 PM »
sorry, just read my reply above - total gibberish !  What I meant to say, was don't say Olu and marmaris in the same sentence !  sorry.

Offline jonjac

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 19:04:47 PM »
We have to admit we were really dissapointed with Marmaris and if we hadn't visited Altinkum a couple of years before we wouldn't have visited turkey again, the photo / map on the above link really has shown us somewhere new.
Would I be right in assuming that the 'shopping' is in the larger town behind olu deniz (Hisaronu) as the wife needs her holiday therapy as well  :)
Sorry for being a nusance everyone, but you are being very helpful.

POOKIE - where is noisey in the evenings - is that down to hotel entertainment or pubs / kareoke bars (sorry for the language) and is it restricted to one area of olu denize

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 07:42:44 AM »
Jonjac  - when I say noisy, I compare it to Uzumlu - very very quiet and nothing moves apart from the wildlife !  There is a pedestrianised area, which is lined by shops and bars (but not many) and there are bars that face onto the beach.  Some can pump out loud music some evenings - but pick your time of year and you shouldn't get disturbed.  Some of the nicer hotels are set behind this strip and further away from the main beach areas.  But don't be put off - as I said previously, it is nothing like Marmaris.  It has a much nicer feel and is tiny in comparison.  Hisaronu, I would say, is much noiser at night with lots of bars and clubs.  Ovacik is next village along.  By what you say, I think you'd quite like Kaya, which is very traditional, quiet, peaceful, some lovely restaurants in walking distance, and nestled in easy distance to Fethiye, Olu, Gemilar and lots of nice places.  If you visited Kaya you would see the real Turkey and never want go any where else !  Have fun.

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 14:49:58 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by jonjac

Would I be right in assuming that the 'shopping' is in the larger town behind olu deniz (Hisaronu) as the wife needs her holiday therapy as well  :)

There are plenty of shops in Olu- the main drag runs through out the resort from front( sea) to back (mountain). if you look at the green pin- the Buzz beach bar- there is a road that runs almost next to it and its full of shops ! Although you do have the option of getting a bus to Hisaronu or even being completely intrepid and venturing into Fethiye!

Offline doll

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 08:45:40 AM »
olu deniz is lovely and one of the most photographed beaches in the world
calis is very small but has a shingle/pebble beach but lots going on,
fethiye is the town centre and boat trips and the harbour are good.
both are cheaper than olu deniz
if you stay at olu you could go to fethiye and catch the water taxi to calis for a look around
its very cheap only 2 -2 1/2tl and see the places for yourselves.
enjoy your holiday,the turkish people are the most friendlest people in the world.

Offline jonjac

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 13:02:14 PM »
Flippin eck - -
we had decided on Oul denize, now we have a choice of Uzumlu, olu Gemilar, Kaya, Fethiye as well as our other choices of Calis or returning to Altinkum- - -normally having my plans changes i'd have thrown my teddy outta the pram - -but it looks like my holiday destination have been choosen for the next 4 0r 5 years LOL, just got to wait untill the company i work for publish holiday lists for next year, then its off to the travell agents . . .

UNLESS

anyone knows of cheap holiday flights or charter flights around July Aug so we can book a villa etc - i know i'm pushing things but i'd rather give money to someone with a villa rather than a company with a hotel

Offline davidzz

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 17:53:32 PM »
Hi jon+jackie, we too are in our early 40's and have 2 children, 12 and 14 years, so know what its like, we have been visiting the area for many years.If you still need info about renting a villa please e-mail us through our profile.

David and Jill

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2007, 17:53:56 PM »
You could not go wrong renting a villa or apartment in Ovacik.  It is quieter than Hisaronu, but ideally situated for visiting all of your mentioned areas. we have two young children, and chose to buy in Ovacik for all of the above reasons. we have peaceful days amidst stunning scenery, then down into Hisaronu or Olu for livlier nights or to chill out on the beach puffies.  Kaya can be reached by dolmus, or most of the restaurants will send transport to pick you up if you wish to eat down there (personally our favourite restaurants are in Kaya).  Ovacik also has a small waterpark for the kids. again, email me through my profile if you want any more info on renting. (Personally think Uzumlu is too quiet and too far away from beaches for kids, and although I will be hated for saying this, I never was very impressed by Calis - not as pretty as being up in the mountain!!)  we always find that January is the best month for catching bargains with Thomas Cook or Thomsons, but have booked all of our flights for next year through Aegeanflights.com, as they were unblievably cheap if you book way in advance. already doubled in price.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 17:55:38 PM by sue mac »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf