Author Topic: Cement Factory Fund Raising  (Read 7110 times)

Offline Firo

Cement Factory Fund Raising
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 19:29:05 PM »
Ok this is the latest news....not from an estate agent but direct from the authorities.
After lots of contact with the UK (yes the UK, Chris Tippett)Foreign Office Second secretary in Ankara...he did lots of investigations and asked questions on our behalf...we had confirmation in the form of an official document via the UK foreign Office, from the Turkish Enviroment Ministry that the cement factory had been refused because it was on forestry land. After speaking to the lawyer, we have retained, he thinks that because of the reasons for refusing the cement factory, the Lime kiln will go the same route.:D
Now we have to go through the courts so that not only it is refused by the Ministry but also the courts, so that Urantas will not just go ahead and build it and suffer the consequences(as is fairly normal in Turkey).
This means that we are winning but we want it all water tight for the future. We are also trying to look into the original quarry permissions as this has trebled insize over the last 2 years.
So the fund raising continues so that we can fund the legal side and then we all will hopefully be able to sit back, breath fresh air and enjoys our homes in the Uzumlu valley.
Many thanks to all that have donated so far it is greatly appreciated by those of us who are fighting the plans on the ground in Uzumlu on everyones behalf.
We have a special night planned for Friday 30th Nov in Uzumlu so if you are here then please get in touch for more details but I can tell you it will be great fun. 8) ;):D
If after all this is finished there is any money left in the fund then we will be donating it to a worthy cause in Uzumlu.
Finally, after being told numerous times by certain parties that us Brits would not be listened to by the Turkish authorities and that we had no right to get involved, all I have to say is "Look at the results" and say we did not help this protest! :D
Many thanks to all who have supported us in Uzumlu and the UK, but we still need those donations.
Fi & Eric
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 19:30:55 PM by Firo »

Offline scorcher

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 20:53:12 PM »
Hello Firo,
Many thanks for the update.There has obviously been a huge amount of time and effort spent on this problem, "spurious" estate agents notwithstanding.Might you perhaps let me know about the "bun fight" on the 30th. I will be in the area with my No. one son(CID officer who,is not inclined to take prisoners),and, of course would love to be there!Hopefully Mr Tippett will grace us all with his presence and benefit us all with his wisdom and maybe,just maybe ,let us all know what side of the bed he gets out of most mornings.Am really looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible. If all else fails,we can always bore each other about dogs! For now, my very best.-Frank H.

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 21:05:41 PM »
Dear Firo,I read your response with interest but I am now more confused than before. You talk about a 'special night' on 30 Nov, which I assume is to celebrate the Turkish Environment Ministry refusing the factory, but previously said that the issue still has to be resolved in the courts!!
My question is quite simple - Is the factory issue finally dead and buried? If not then is it not a bit premature to start celebrating?

Offline batman

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 21:14:08 PM »
Hip Hip Hooray
Hip Hip Hooray
Hip Hip Hooray

Well done all of you, Dogan rang me to tell me the good news, need to get it all water tight.

Paul

Offline Firo

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 21:18:41 PM »
Where is it said that the 30th is a celebration?
Prehaps you shouldn't assusume so much again.
Fi

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 21:41:25 PM »
Dear Scorcher,I go into the village every day to shop, I get out of bed on the left side and I certainly do not have the temerity to claim any great powers of wisdom. All I would claim, is that having lived in Uzumlu for the past 18 months, I am very painfully aware of the workings of the Turkish bureaucratic system. A court case could take years to resolve and as Firo has said Urantas could still go ahead and build anyway.
The Ministy decision is a welcome step forward but I am not yet ready to put the flags out.

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 21:51:26 PM »
Eric, were you a politician in an earlier life? Please answer the following question YES or NO. Is the factory issue dead and buried? Your earlier reply to Scorcher, well intentioned as it was, is not clear on the matter and I fear may well have sent out the wrong signal judging by Batman's elated response.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 22:17:21 PM »
Dear Mr Tippett,
Fair comment.But I imagine,like yourself,have been around the block once or twice. So nothing but nothing "surprises" me anymore. Reality,I guess but, as they do say: "when in Rome etc." Do,please,keep the flags on "stand-by".See you there on the 30th? My regards . FH. PS-have faith.

Offline peterw

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 22:55:06 PM »
The situation looks pretty clear to me - we've won a battle, but not the war.  I'd be only too happy to celebrate on the 30th if I was in Uzumlu.  Sadly I'm not, but I'll be asking Scorcher to have a couple of drinks on my behalf when he's there.

Maybe I just have a low celebration threshold  ;)

Peter & Jacquie

Offline Firo

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 08:03:01 AM »
Peterw has put it perspective. We have won one battle now we have to win the war.
The reasons for continuing are as previously stated. So YES we are winning but we want all the t's crossed before we celebrate.
We have been told that when we have the court ruling even Urantas would not dare go ahead hence why we are taking the next step.
Hope this is clear enough for you to understand Chris Tippett.
Fi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf