Author Topic: uzumlu wine  (Read 6665 times)

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
uzumlu wine
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 12:55:12 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by sporran

I have been in the wine trade for many years and the following comments regarding Uzumlu wine could be of interest -

AN UNUSUAL "Rough as Guts" wine that has the distinctive bouquet of old and ill animals. It is best drunk with the teeth clenched to prevent the ingestion of seeds, stalks and skins. Connoisseurs will appreciate the slight tannic taste of burnt shag feathers and soiled medical dressings. Possessors of a cultivated palate admire the initial assault on the taste buds which comes from the careful and loving blend of circus cage floor hosings with perished jock straps. The maturing is done in Uzumlu abottoir hogs heads and gives it a very distinctive nose. In Fethiye this wine is marketed as "The Saviour Brand" (as nine out of ten people who drink it for the first time exclaim ---------"JE-E-ESUS CHRIST"
CAUTION : Avoid contact with the eyes and open cuts.
          Keep away from "Naked Flames" (both old and new)

:D LOL :D Very good narrative Brian  8)

Seriously - Why aren't there lots of great (cheaper) wines in Turkey :( They have all the right ingredients to make some great wines, red & white  :)

Offline bikerchickblonde

uzumlu wine
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 15:33:27 PM »
There weren't any corks in my Wine House wine!   Just an old plastic coke bottle wrapped in a newspaper!!

Offline sporran

uzumlu wine
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 15:35:13 PM »
I am sure there will be some well made "cheaper" wines somewhere but I think they are hard to find. I agree that they have the right ingredients but it could be their methods of production. Dont know where Uzumlu wine is actually produced, no evidence of modern stainless steel vats in the area and temperature control is important in a hot country. Must try and find out more about wine production in Uzumlu - they are meant to be famous for it?

Offline calvin 1949

uzumlu wine
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 16:39:26 PM »
saw Memet and Hasan with red feet last September
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 16:40:34 PM by calvin 1949 »

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
uzumlu wine
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 17:07:46 PM »
Most Uzumlu wine seems to be made in small cellars under the houses.No stainless steel just big plastic drums and plastic syphon tubes. Seems to work though 8)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 17:08:43 PM by tribalelder »

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
uzumlu wine
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 17:41:36 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tribalelder

Most Uzumlu wine seems to be made in small cellars under the houses.No stainless steel just big plastic drums and plastic syphon tubes. Seems to work though 8)

:o Have you got red feet TB :P Got any spare  ;)

Offline philrose

uzumlu wine
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 05:40:53 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by cef
Seriously - Why aren't there lots of great (cheaper) wines in Turkey :( They have all the right ingredients to make some great wines, red & white  :)

There are plenty of great wines available if you don't mind paying the price. Unfortunatly due to the combination of the tax more than doubling the price of a bottle and that Turkish wine drinkers are in the minority, well dicerning ( ie. wealthy) ones anyway :), makes the good stuff pretty expensive.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
uzumlu wine
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 06:00:50 AM »
Sadly cef I find that my very in depth quality control checks deplete the entire stocks.....but for you ...????:D 8)

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
uzumlu wine
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 13:39:54 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by philrose

quote:
Originally posted by cef

There are plenty of great wines available if you don't mind paying the price. Unfortunatly due to the combination of the tax more than doubling the price of a bottle and that Turkish wine drinkers are in the minority, well dicerning ( ie. wealthy) ones anyway :), makes the good stuff pretty expensive.

Hi Phil, only thing to do then is to start a campaign for more Wine Drinkers in Turkey :P  

The UK I think, top's most country's 'Tax & VAT' add-ons, I don't understand how I can get a 'Good' glass of wine here for £1.80 but have to pay 5/6/7lira (min £2.00)for a glass of (mostly) yuk! stuff in the Fethiye area :(

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
uzumlu wine
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 13:42:41 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tribalelder

Sadly cef I find that my very in depth quality control checks deplete the entire stocks.....but for you ...????:D 8)

:) 8) TB, My friend for life  ;) I'll even bring me own bottle for 'decanting purposes' :D ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf