Author Topic: New Members  (Read 3851 times)

Offline teresa321

New Members
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2004, 15:53:31 PM »
Hi Chris and Patrick

It is the deed after it has been through the military clearance and approved, this allowed Muko to put the house into our names. The clearance took 16 weeks, when we bought in January we expected it to take about 12.

We were very unsure of the whole thing when we went in cold bleak January. We did view through a few agents but I would definitely say that you get a gut feeling and we felt very comfortable with Heidi and Muko (Keith was still in England). At that point they did not even have an office and we carried out business in their living room.

We paid our deposit (10%) and came home to England with a little piece of paper in receipt and that was it. We had been taken to the notary to sign a power of attorney which allowed Muko to buy the property in our name. We paid the translator direct as well as the notary and we did not use a solicitor. Before I went I was intending to use a solicitor but I took the advice of Heidi and Muko all the way and it never seemed necessary, but some people do.

We sent the balance 8 weeks later (a stomach-churning experience)and the owner signed the property over to Muko for us and then once the military clearance arrived Muko puts it in our name, and deal with electric and water etc in our name.  You can go over and do it yourself if you plan on returning but we knew we would not be back for a few months.

If you pay a deposit and change your mind, I think you will lose it. If you come home to think about it you can do the deed from England as I know some people have bought unseen. The danger is that either your place goes, or it goes up.  I think it is a bit like a house purchase here, when you find your place, you know it when you walk in the door.

There seemed to be quite a few people buying when we were there this week and the main difference since we bought is that I think people are paying for their property quickly to get the sale through in case the seller pulls out (except new-building projects).

I would also say that compared to some of the things I have seen and read, the fees we paid were very reasonable and as the first lot were paid in cash by us directly - we know they were correct. We finished this week with our 3% agents fee and the costs for transferring the deeds over and other things like earthquake insurance and refuse - this cost about £225. It does depend on the value of your property but it was all very reasonable.

For a scary experience Heidi really made things easy, it was still a bit scary though - trust is what you rely on.  

We sat on our verandah this week and not a day went past when I didn't pinch myself to make sure it was real - it is bloody fantastic to be honest.

Teresa

Offline Chris & Patrick

New Members
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2004, 16:22:22 PM »
Thanks so much Theresa,

We both read your message together and when we got to your last sentance we both sighed a sigh of envy and said ''oh my god'' It sounds exactly where we want to be an hopefully experience it in much the same way as you have (hopefully) Everytime you mention to anyone  here your thinking of buying in Turkey you get all the usual (and expected ''ooh be very careful'' ''I knew someone once'' etc. It has helped increase our confidence no-end joining this site and talking to real people like you who have had real experiences etc. A couple of questions (probably more in the future if thats ok)

1) Could you possibly put an approximate figure on the total additional purchase costs i.e agents fees etc, we have been quoted 5 & half % of the purchase price from one agent is this about right?

2) You mentioned a translator, who is this, is it something you have to have (does this mean at some point there are only turkish speaking people involved?) and at what stage in the process does this happen?

3) Your 10% deposit does this vary from developer to developer or again is this the norm?

4) You say people have started to pay quickly to avoid the seller pulling out, do you mean the whole purchase price in one go?

5) Finaly, have I read you right, you can actualy complete the buying process and then the military checks are done on you, I would have thought these would have been done first to ensure your not some unsavoury character

Thanks, Chris & Patrick

Offline teresa321

New Members
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2004, 17:32:22 PM »
Other people will probably be able to help with some of this.

1. My understanding is that you pay 3% of the purchase cost to the agent and I believe that to be standard.  We paid the notary when the process started about £100 and the translator 20million each. It is all in Turkish but the translator is appointed by the court and he tells you exactly what you are signing. There is another 1,5% payable at the end but this figure is not necessarily of the purchase cost but of the valuation on your deed which can be lower (this is talked about somewhere else on the forum) and is included in the £225 I mention earlier. In total we paid about
£350 plus our 3% but it does depend on the cost of your property.

2.  As mentioned above but this is right at the beginning of the process and if you decide to buy and put down a deposit, you will probably do that straight away.

3. Deposits do vary, Heidi tries to stick to 10% (or did when we went) but I know people are asked for more and some have paid very small deposits and sent the rest when they got home.

4. Yes. Although it may not be the norm and you will get advice on this I am sure. Increasingly it seems even on the forum people are being asked for money quickly. See what others say on that subject. If you are buying something that is not completed then everyone says to only pay in stages, not up front.

5. Yep again. Not really sure what to say on this one because you are echoing my concerns at the time. The only thing I can say is I didn't think we were unsavoury (although the Turks might) and as rules have relaxed on where property can be bought I think the area we are buying in is regarded as out of any restricted zone.  I suppose if they had refused us we may have been able to put it in another name or, sell it.  It wasn't a problem and again I don't think that many people are waiting until the clearance is through before paying because I think you might lose the property.

As I say it gave me (and others) a bit of a flutter at 2am on odd occasions.  There will be plenty of people on here with their experiences.  Use the search facility at the top and look up TAPU, deposits and fees etc.

Teresa

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf