Author Topic: Food in Calis  (Read 3514 times)

Offline sarahsea

Food in Calis
« on: May 26, 2008, 12:05:48 PM »
Hi
I'm Sarah, married to Mark and we have 3 children (only two at home), I am an adult education tutor in history.
We are traveling to Turkey in July, my dad has a villa there, although it is not our first time in Turkey it will be our first stay at Calis.

Our 8 year old son is on the autistic spectrum and has a very selective diet, one of our main concerns is getting the right sort of food out there for him as two weeks is a long time eating nothing!

He generally eats: -
Tesco cheese & tomato pizza (only the very basic type)
Cheese spread sandwiches (sliced bread only)
Birds Eye cod fish fingers
bacon cobs/sandwiches
Cereals: Cookie Crisp, Cocoa Pops, Frosted Shreddies, Weetabix, Ready Brek, Nesquick, Ricicles.
Cheese spread on cream crackers
Magnum Classic Ice creams
Wotsits
Skips
Quavers
Carrot Sticks
Milky Way
Milky Bar
Orange Squash
traditional birthday cake
There nay be a few other things that I have omitted but I hope you get the general idea, what are my chances of getting any of this stuff over in Calis (OK I KNOW that I won't get Tesco's pizza!) or what types of foodstuffs are you allowed to bring in your suitcase, does anyone know?

Your help would be greatly appreciated as our son is our main priority whilst over there and we need him to be settled and happy then we can all enjoy our break.
Thanks guys

Sarah

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Food in Calis
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 12:21:43 PM »
Hi Sarah
You'll be hard pushed to find Quavers or Skips.
Breakfast cereals, spreading cheese and sliced bread can be found in the supermarkerts in Fethyie.  Not sure if they've Kellogs or not though.
Good luck and enjoy your holiday
Anne

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Food in Calis
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 12:24:44 PM »
I'm sure the ex-pats will be able to fill you in on most of those items.

I know for a fact that Classic Magnums are widely available because my missus insists on at least one every day (I tend to join her). I'm sure basic cheese spread will be available from the larger supermarkets as will some of the cereals (you can take these anyway as they are light and easy to pack).

Many restaurants will go out of their way to produce a basic pizza for your son - just ask. You might also find similar ones in the larger supermarkets.

As he seems to like cheese and tomatoes I would try him out on some of the local food. We buy fresh bread every morning and add local 'feta' style cheese to it along with a slice or two of the wonderful beef tomatoes that are available.

I'm sure you will get many more detailed answers later.

Have a great time.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Food in Calis
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 12:25:34 PM »
Hi sarah, welcome to the forum. I have just finished reading a book "George and Sam" about two brothers on the spectrum and the mother describes the nightmare of the food. It sounds like getting away for you guys brings it's stresses. You can definitely get Magnum classics and you can make carrot sticks not sure about the rest. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Food in Calis
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 12:26:49 PM »
Tesco cheese & tomato pizza (only the very basic type) NO
Cheese spread sandwiches (sliced bread only) YES
Birds Eye cod fish fingers NO
bacon cobs/sandwiches YES
Cereals: Cookie Crisp, Cocoa Pops, Frosted Shreddies, Weetabix, Ready Brek, Nesquick, Ricicles. COCOA POPS (sort of)
Cheese spread on cream crackers YES
Magnum Classic Ice creams YES
Wotsits - YES (Cheeto's)
Skips NO
Quavers NO
Carrot Sticks YES
Milky Way YES
Milky Bar - YES (white chocolate)
Orange Squash YES
traditional birthday cake POSSIBLE

Sounds like a list I'd send to someone in the UK to bring me out  :)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Food in Calis
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 12:37:15 PM »
So you might have to get the pizzas delivered. I'm sure that would not be a problem.

Do you know which area of Calis the villa is in? You might get some ideas of local restaurants. For example, if you are anywhere near the Birlik you will be able to get margarita pizzas easily and they are lovely.

Offline janet.gur

• Bolton, UK
Food in Calis
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 13:52:53 PM »
Hi

I often bring food out in my suitcase and have done so for many years without any problems.  I would suggest that you bring some of his essentials out with you especially cereals then at least you can have peace of mind to enjoy your holiday

Janet

Offline sarahsea

Food in Calis
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 13:55:00 PM »
Thanks guys for your quick responses, they are all really appreciated does anyone know if I would get food and orange squash past customs?  Stoop my dads villa is
1035 Sokak
Gunlukbasi
Calis

It is near to a graveyard?

many thanks

Sarah

Offline sarahsea

Food in Calis
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 13:59:37 PM »
Thanks Janet, I will do that.

Regards

Sarah

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Food in Calis
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 14:09:32 PM »
Hi Sarah
My son too is within the autistic spectrum so I totally know what you have to do regarding your son's food!
My boy is older now and the good news his diet has improved regarding choices a lot, when we used to go abroad when he was your son's age we took as much from the UK of the foods and brands! that he ate that we could possibly cram in the cases.

I hope you and your family have a lovely time when you go.
Regards Karen

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf