Author Topic: Midges in Uzumlu??  (Read 7655 times)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Midges in Uzumlu??
« on: June 16, 2008, 16:11:38 PM »
I have been badly bitten by midges in the past 2 weeks.  I never had this problem last year and wonder if anyone else in Uzumlu has had this problem.  I am certain it isn't mosquitos.

I have looked them up on the internet and they breed in damp compost.  We use compost in the garden and for our ferrets as litter.  I am wondering if we are the only ones having this problem, and the cause could be the compost attracting them for lurve and a snack after.  Me being the snack.

I have tiny bites which turn into huge, hot, weeping lumps.  I am not happy and can't think what to do to stop it. :(

Offline calvin 1949

Midges in Uzumlu??
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 16:20:53 PM »
Hi Rindaloo same problem here  attacking me for some reason ,they are harvesting at the moment so this may be why , if it is any consolation they only go for SWEET MEAT regards Calvin

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Midges in Uzumlu??
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 16:32:58 PM »
Yup,  my Mum returned at the weekend, covered.....we've never had problems before :([xx(]

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Midges in Uzumlu??
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 16:55:19 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by calvin 1949

Hi Rindaloo same problem here  attacking me for some reason ,they are harvesting at the moment so this may be why , if it is any consolation they only go for SWEET MEAT regards Calvin

I am turning sour.....[:(!]

Thanks for your replies.  Really there seems to be nothing I can do.  I wonder why this year is bad?  I have a gel to put on them but I can't really apply it to the many oozing lumps in my hair.  Hmmmmm.........

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Midges in Uzumlu??
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 17:14:30 PM »
 :owhat a pretty picture I have of you now Rindaloo !!! :o: :)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Midges in Uzumlu??
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 18:03:19 PM »
Nothing you culd imagine could prepare you for the reality.....  Be warned.  :o

Anyway I did a search and found this...

Midge facts

Biting midges are not sandflies.
They are present on all continents except Antarctica.
The adults are about one (1) to two (2) millimetres long, much smaller than the related mosquito.
Generation time (life cycle from egg to adult) is probably no less than eight weeks.
Estuarine midges do not breed in the grass, trees or in soil or sand in the garden; they only harbour in these areas.
They are not known to be vectors of any human disease in Australia.
In overcast humid weather, they are known to bite all day and night.
Only the female bites: she needs a blood meal to fertilise her eggs. They are known as pool feeders because they use their proboscis like a saw to create a tiny hole in the skin into which a pool of blood can flow. Saliva is injected into the pool to help the flow of blood. It is this saliva that causes the allergic reaction and itching.
Remember that biting midge numbers increase around the time of the full and new moons; it is advisable not to plan outdoor functions that coincide with these times.
Useful tips

Personal reaction to bites varies from a slight redness which disappears in half an hour or less, to severe inflammation. If you react rapidly and the swellings are small, you are reasonably immune so treatment may not be needed. Swilling and itch will soon go away.

For these less severe cases, the following tips may help reduce the effects of bites:

a hot bath may provide temporary relief
anti-itching creams or lotions from the chemist are quite effective; do not apply them when the skin is broken
some insect repellents also give relief to the bite, providing the individual's skin is not sensitive to the repellent
it has been observed that Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Hydrochloride) taken over a period of more than 30 days before exposure to midges, can reduce the severity of some people's reaction to bites (this is not true of everyone and always consult your doctor before taking any vitamins)
However, if you react hours or days later to a bite, whether you felt it or not, your immunity is poor and you are likely to be more severely affected. If your reaction is very severe, see your doctor.

How to protect yourself

Anything you can do to reduce humidity, increase light and air movement will make your house and garden less attractive to midges.

Closely mown lawns, sparse vegetation around your house and minimal surface water in the garden will decrease humidity, increase air movement so as to minimise the resting places for midges.
Avoid gardening or watering in the afternoon and early morning.
Increase air movement in the house by using electric fans can effectively create an area unsuitable for Biting Midges as their activity reduces in wind speeds over six (6) to eight (8) kilometres per hour.
Spraying residual (surface) insecticide on your flyscreens will help deter midges from entering your home.
Burning mosquito coils inside can also reduce numbers.
Most insect repellents are effective against midges and should be used whenever you are outside the house, alternatively an equal part mixture of baby oil, Dettol and Eucalyptus oil is useful.
Long sleeve shorts and long trousers made of closely woven materials give good protection; when gardening, a hat and gloves are also a big help.
Reducing midge activity in your yard

To avoid the heat of the day, midges hide underneath the leaves of the plants and shrubs in your garden. These areas can be treated by applying a fine mist of insecticide on the leaves.

Reminder: Re-apply the insecticide after heavy rain or when midge activity increases.

Chemical contol tips

Natural insecticides / Pyrethrum: Available from most plant nurseries and hardware stores. Pyrethrum has little residual capacity, so applications may be needed on a regular (weekly) basis during problem periods.
Chemical insecticides: Common garden sprays such as Diazinon, Fenthion and, for a longer lasting effect, Permethrin, are effective.
Organic insecticides

If you are reluctant to use chemicals in your garden, organic insecticides can be made up and applied. These will be capable of killing the adult midges, however repeated applications may be necessary.

Some useful organic insecticide formulations are:

Garlic spray
85 grams unpeeled garlic, two (2) tablespoons mineral oil, 600 millilitres water and seven (7) grams of soap dissolved in solution.
Mix solution and place in trigger sprayer.

Derris spray
120 grams soap in 4.5 litres of water solution.
Mix in 60 grams of derris powder (from garden suppliers) and mix an additional 4.5 litres of water.
Dilute entire mixture in 12 litres of water and place in trigger sprayer.
Outdoor repellents

Gardening or hosting a barbecue? Parrafin oil or perfumed lamp oil can be mixed with either Citronella or Lavender oil and burned in 'Polynesian' bamboo lamp burners placed upwind of your activity.

I thought the bit about baby oil was interesting, because I have seen Avon 'Skin SO Soft' recommended for a midge repellent.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 18:10:27 PM by Rindaloo »

Offline ted molloy

Midges in Uzumlu??
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 18:05:37 PM »
Could be ether dung flies or sheep/goat flies we get a lot of them just before sheep shearing last year we had a massif fly strike on most of the local sheep they were so bad we had to put a mozzie net over our bed this often occures in very humid climates.

PS. This is not a windup Lynne.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Midges in Uzumlu??
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 18:21:39 PM »
Hmmmm Ted.  

The Turks call them 'tatarcik' or 'yakarca', the latin name is 'Ceratopogonidae', I have another name for them..............

Offline Stressed Eric

Midges in Uzumlu??
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 18:29:58 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've had horrid red  lumps appear on my scalp which itch like mad and weep. They've caused the glands in my neck to swell and given me terrible ear ache. This is the 3rd year running they've got me, and they never touch hubby.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Midges in Uzumlu??
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 18:31:49 PM »
I have earache too, didn't make the connection.  Blimey, so I have this to look forward to EVERY year??   *mutter*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf