Author Topic: Avoid this jewellers.  (Read 8994 times)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Avoid this jewellers.
« on: June 24, 2008, 11:22:13 AM »
My friends sister bought a set of jewellery consisting of earing, necklace and bracelet for £450 at Infinity Jewellers in the Paspateur. She was assured that they were precious stones but the same night the colour game off one of the ring stones. She went back and they were replaced by another colour. They went to a jeweller in Hisaronu and he told them that they were in fact coloured glass. She took them back to Infinity who were not best pleased. The stones had fallen out of the ring by this time. She managed to get her money back after a lengthy "discussion".

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Avoid this jewellers.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 12:51:26 PM »
What did she expect for 450 quid? Genuine Elizabeth Duke ? :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 12:51:51 PM by KKOB »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Avoid this jewellers.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 13:20:42 PM »
I'm no expert but I think for £450 I'd be expecting a little more than coloured glass  :)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Avoid this jewellers.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 14:30:53 PM »
Wow, thanks for the warning.  I am surprised at them.

Offline fredam

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 16:19:36 PM »
errr....that is a LOT of money - you dont even have to be an expert, Scunner.  LOL  seriously, as somewhat of a gem buff (won't post my business jewellery website cuz I don't want to advertise (but mention it to show I know what Im talking about, lol)....there are a lot of stones which are heat treated to change the colour of them.  In a really hot country, just leaving them on the windowsill while you do dishes can change the colour.  While jewellers should tell you which have been treated, many don't and many don't know unless their suppliers are honest - to check you have to heat treat them, thus making them the less deirable (and cheaper) colour.  If someone really wants to do serious shopping for that sort of thing, you can get gem testers - all gems conduct electricity differently and there is a little meter which tells you immediately which gem it is.  You can find them on ebay and they are small enough to fit in your handbag.  Word of warning, though, some synthetic diamonds are hard to spot, so need a more expensive tester, and although there are gold testers, they are a lot more complicated because of the different types of plating, etc.  Not saying that it wasnt coloured glass - there is a lot of that stuff around too - but if you want to know what you are getting and buy a lot of stone jewellery a gem tester is great.  I know someone who carries hers when she goes to car boot sales!

Where is the Paspateur?  I definately want to avoid that one!

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Avoid this jewellers.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 23:13:33 PM »
Alan how would you like to pay £450 for glass?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Avoid this jewellers.
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 23:19:06 PM »
Unless you are ordering a stained glass window for Kaya Towers of course

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Avoid this jewellers.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 23:40:29 PM »
I am disappointed and surprised. I have bought a lot of jewellry and watches from them as have my inlaws. They have a large number of shops in the area not just Fethiye but right over to kalkan. If I remember the Brazilian Rubygate scandal was Infinity Olu Deniz!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Avoid this jewellers.
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 23:44:07 PM »
As mentioned in another topic today, if you want jewelery go and see Mete at Golden Moon in Calis. No need to take a gamble. I trust him with my life.

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
Avoid this jewellers.
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 23:57:12 PM »
Is is it me but if I am on holiday I would never buy a replica football shirt or other designer clothes and think it was original or a watch or jewelry in a tourist area. Am I stupid or not?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 00:01:19 AM by Twin Bee »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf