Author Topic: Noisy Tree  (Read 8464 times)

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Noisy Tree
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 09:07:34 AM »
the grunting could well have been hedgehogs - they make lots of noise scurrying around at night.  The noisy tree is probably cicadas - they are very odd looking beetley things, hard to spot as they disguise themselves against the tree bark.  One got into our bedroom last year and drove us around the bend -  Mr Pookie had to hunt him down and return him to the olive groves ! :)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Noisy Tree
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 09:22:49 AM »
LOL, we had a Cicada on the front path yesterday.  It was laying feet upwards.  I thought it was dead.  Went to pick it up to see if it was the same as the cicadas I had seen on the net and the bloody thing flew off.  Made me jump!

Maybe it was just sunning itself!

I imagine in the house they are deafening.   But these don't make a noise at night.  It just seems to be in the afternoon mostly.

Offline emmast

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 09:08:38 AM »
What do these Cicada look like?  Are they Beetle like? We had a massive Beetle type of creature land on our terrace one night in Uzumlu. It sounded like a low flying aircraft on its final approach as it came into land !!! It got me hopping around a bit !!
On the grunting front, i do know that Mummy and Daddy hedgehogs making baby hedgehogs make an incredible amount of noise !!

Offline ted molloy

Noisy Tree
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 09:34:13 AM »
Ref grunting and ooooh" at night i think your missing the point hedgehogs don't go ooooh" ooooh" at night but prehaps ferretts do!

Offline calvin 1949

Noisy Tree
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 10:20:01 AM »
And Tourists!!!! too hot for us locals
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 10:20:49 AM by calvin 1949 »

Offline peecee

Noisy Tree
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 10:24:56 AM »
Cicadas look like blooming great grasshoppers.  Saw one walking the dog in the forest at the back of the village,must have been at least 4 inches long in the body and it wasn't going to move out of the way!!  Walked around it!

Offline calvin 1949

Noisy Tree
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 10:30:31 AM »
What!!!! a Cicadas walking a dog ,gosh they must be big!!!

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Noisy Tree
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 11:14:36 AM »
Cicadas do not look like Grasshoppers, they resemble large flies and make that sound by vibrating their wing on their wing casings, unlike the Grasshopper which uses its legs.
http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4th/KKHP/1INSECTS/cicada.html

Offline alec

Noisy Tree
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 14:50:13 PM »
Yes, cicadas.  And hedgehogs grunting.  Going home to Kizilbel around midnight I usually see two or three on the road.  They have just as much tendency to wander under your wheels as avoid them, so I'm not totally convinced the squashed ones have been deliberately run down.  Do you hear the owls and the nightjars too?  (And the nightingales, but they've stopped now.) And I sometimes see something glinting brightly on the road surface in my headlights.  I stopped once to look and it was a big wolf spider.

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Noisy Tree
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 15:00:42 PM »
Apparently it seems that Cicadas do not use their wings to make that sound, have just read the link on my last post, fascinating creature though. 8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf