Author Topic: patara beach  (Read 9584 times)

Offline FrankStanley

patara beach
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 20:57:10 PM »
hello, just back from hols. and went to patara on the dolmus from fethiye. got off after kinak and ova with 6 kms. to walk.
There are road works being undetaken at the drop off point on D400.
After breakfast in Patara (turkish mmmm) we walked on to the beach.
Wow was i taken aback by the ruins Lycian, Greek, Roman. This place is a hidden treasure of antiquity and I will be researching its past history. Then you hit the beach! 12 kms long and most people use the first 1 km next to the cafe/showers/tiolets after that nothing but sea and sand. Most enjoyable, but beware of strong currents west to east.This is really a great treasure of this area, and we hope to return again and again.
nb  take your rubbish back with you! lets not spoil this beautiful place.

Offline marina

patara beach
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 10:30:33 AM »
Frank, nice to see you visited Patara village (I presume that's where you had breakfast).  We like it there, so different to the commercial side of Turkey and the people so welcoming and friendly.  

Then a visit to the historical sites and the beach - a great day or two out.  :)

P.S.  When we were there in May last year the bar was definitely open.

Offline dollycat

patara beach
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 11:59:59 AM »
Can anyone recommend a nice hotel in Patara? Will be staying in Calis but love the beach at Patara so thought it might be nice for a mini break!

Offline Pattimac

patara beach
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 18:34:25 PM »
The Viewpoint Hotel in Patara is very nice.  We have had many a holiday there.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
patara beach
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 18:39:31 PM »
You can see the choice here: http://www.booking.com/city/tr/patara.en.html?aid=343720 - a short break would be good for the beach, looking around the history of Patara (the major port of ancient Lycia), also a good base for visiting the Xanthos & Letoon ruins, of which there are many...

Offline big a

patara beach
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 19:56:15 PM »
always use to holiday in patara until we bought in fethiye wonderful beach and very friendly people in the village well worth a visit
:D

Offline suehugh

patara beach
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 18:53:55 PM »
Would recommend the golden moon pension in Patara. Stayed there in July for two nights.
The restaurant overlooks the main street, which is very quiet.
The food really is superb.
It takes ten minutes to walk around the town, as long as you do it slowly.
The Pension provides curtesy transport to the beach. (About a 30 minute hot walk)
Beach is magnificent and look out for the nude man.

Offline marina

patara beach
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 21:18:00 PM »
suehugh - think it's just the Patara Golden Pension.  Golden Moon is in Calis.  In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but it might have been me that recommended this place to you when you were planning your trip to Patara earier this year.   :) But even if it wasn't I agree it's a very good, friendly place to stay in Patara.

Offline suehugh

patara beach
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 14:02:59 PM »
Yes Marina
You are right
It is the Golden pension
Thanks for recommending to us. It was a really nice pension.The food was authentically Turkish and tasted yummy.We ate both nights there as the atmosphere was good and lots of people there.The village itself was a bit of a ghost town (Similar to Uzumlu)Most reastaurants and bars were empty.
Thanks again for the info.
hugh

Offline marina

patara beach
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 14:15:05 PM »
hugh, you are more than welcome.  Glad you enjoyed your stay there.  I'm usually a bit wary of recommending places as it's all down to personal taste and different people enjoy different things.  Such a shame that most of the other bars and restaurants were closed, especially in July when you'd expect them to be open.  Bit sad really. But, as you said, the Golden Pension is a good place to base yourself if you want to have a whole day on that wonderful beach, and maybe have a look round the ruins too.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 14:21:31 PM by marina »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf