Author Topic: Uzumlu Expat survey  (Read 8751 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 01:14:02 AM »
Not till he's harvested his brussel sprout anyway

Offline bikerchickblonde

Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 01:14:12 AM »
Why do people come to Turkey to try and change it?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 01:16:04 AM »
Why do people come to Turkey and try to prevent it changing?

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 08:05:52 AM »
We came to Turkey to live because we love it.  We love it as it is.  We know it will change.  Inevitably it will.  So if it is going to change we would like for it to change in a good way.  So, when we are asked what we would like, we suggest things.  Same as the local Turks do.

I didn't necessarily agree to all the things on the list.  We are all different.

Offline Eric

Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 10:30:49 AM »
Hence why people have been asked for feedback?
Anybody would feel reading some of these posts that we, the expats, are trying to push through changes that will affect the village....we are not, we have been graciously asked if we want anything and in my opinion we should reply.
If you do not want to give your opinions then thats fine but don't have a go at people that want to talk to the mayor.
Eric

Offline peecee

Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2008, 11:09:05 AM »
I think it's a kind gesture by the Mayor to ask/want our opinions on how to improve the village but I can't help ask where the money would come from for all these changes?  I personally would be prepared to pay extra taxes to help the village overall, especially for the local Turkish people i.e. improving the school facilities etc.
I do have a gripe about the water pressure in the Summer but, living on a hill, have had a storage tank installed.  I personally think the problem is caused by all properties that are rented out to 8/10 people, all wanting showers, extra clothes washing etc. etc.  Fine, if you want to rent your house but are you paying any extra in taxes locally?  This is unearned income and should be declared accordingly.  It does have a very detrimental effect on the village when water IS desparately needed.  
However, the rate differential is rather unfair, .50 opposed to 1.75 lira.
To 'beef up' the electricity supply is the responsibilty of Tedas, not the Belediye, and they have to wangle the money out of the Government.
I do agree with the road problem, I live on a hill whereby I have no 'real' access to my house.  The Mayor has kindly agreed to try and do something 'in the near future' but...  I offered to pay for something to be done and was quoted a ridiculous amount (by someone local, in the building trade who no longer works in the Belediye)  To my mind 'lining my own pocket' sprung to mind.  Ten thousand Pounds to do a dirt track on land that belong to the Minitry of Defence.  Long story, won't bore you all.
Basically there are some improvements which would be welcome but they need time and money.  And the improvements should benefit all Uzumlites, not just ex-pats

Offline peecee

Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 11:14:35 AM »
Would like to add that it would be wonderful if the Belediye would introduce a system of fining builders for leaving/disposing of their rubbish, espcially on the mountainside[:(!].  If anyone saw/caught a builder doing so we could report them to the Belediye, they get fined or are refused permission for any other building work. Money to the Belediye, a prettier countryside, quids in for all[^]

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 11:28:19 AM »
Some good points peecee but I'm not sure any income declared and paid in tax would actually benefit Uzumlu directly. Surely this goes to the central Government? I could be wrong of course and I do agree that anyone renting out a property should pay the relevant income tax - whether in Turkey or the UK or both.

Is there a 'local' tax to be paid by people renting out properties? If so I have not come across it yet - certainly not in Ciftlik.

Offline peecee

Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2008, 11:35:42 AM »
Stoop, I don't know is the answer.  But i would have thought that the Belediye would receive some kind of financial aid from Fethiye/Government as the local council in UK do.  The more taxes the Government raise the more they can distribute.  Truthfully, I think there is so little revenue raised in 'earned income' in this country (cash in hand jobbies!) it's no wonder it's such a poor country!  Compared to local people I'm well off, I chose to come and live here so should/would very gladly pay my way and a bit more if it benefited my village.

Offline Firo

Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2008, 12:15:14 PM »
Peecee,
We were talking to the local Orman(forestry) manager 2 weeks ago and he said that 10 days before a new law had come into being about tipping rubbish.
If you see someone tipping rubbish you must note down their number plate etc, take a photo and then take that information to the Kymakan in Fethiye and heavy fines will be imposed.
Lets just hope we always have a camera to hand!
Fi
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:16:25 PM by Firo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf