Author Topic: Solar Water Tanks/Anti-freeze  (Read 3187 times)

Offline LoubyLou

Solar Water Tanks/Anti-freeze
« on: October 31, 2008, 05:39:02 AM »
When we first had our water tank put on the roof (March 07), the builder put some anti-freeze in it so the pipes wouldn't freeze up and burst in the winter.

We haven't managed to top the antifreeze up for this year - does anyone know how long it usually lasts for? ie. we were alright for last winter, but does it really need topping up again for this winter??

I thought I had it sorted out with Errol in the village when I was out a few weeks ago, but I think I confused him with my Turkish (!!) so he never turned up to do it when I thought he said he would be round, and I was leaving the next day!! Now worried we will have burst pipes over the winter!!

Any advice appreciated on this!!

Offline wickwilly

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 07:20:06 AM »
It should be changed every year as its effectiveness wears off after a summer of blazing sunshine.

WW

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 09:32:06 AM »
Loubs,  if you email me key details, I could ask Ibrihim to pop round and do it for you.   He'll have to do ours anyway.......   He has access to our petty cash, so you can just settle with us when we see you.  Pooks xx

Offline Alan Keating

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 13:22:36 PM »
I agree with WW (Alan), the higher temperatures can affect some additives. In UK, we say that a check should be carried out every five years. If there are no leaks, then a drain down and replacement are recommended every ten years.
The "average" system, would only require one litre of antifreeze. 8)

Offline goatman

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 16:22:22 PM »
Excuse my ignorance but once the anti freeze goes in your solar panels this will get used up as you are using the hot water in which case it definitely has to be changed each year. if this is wrong could someone correct me otherwise i'll end up with more anti freeze than water!!!!

Offline voyageur

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 16:31:33 PM »
The water to the solar panels is quite independent of the water supply. It goes through the hot water tank with a calorifier this water just goes around and around ! This is why you need to put antifreeze in it. You put the antifreeze into the small top up[ tank next to the other tanks. You should 'bleed' the solar panels from the bottom pipe.
quote:
aOriginally posted by goatman

Excuse my ignorance but once the anti freeze goes in your solar panels this will get used up as you are using the hot water in which case it definitely has to be changed each year. if this is wrong could someone correct me otherwise i'll end up with more anti freeze than water!!!!

Offline voyageur

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 16:33:41 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by voyageur

The water to the solar panels is quite independent of the water supply. It goes through the hot water tank with a calorifier this water just goes around and around ! This is why you need to put antifreeze in it. You put the antifreeze into the small top up[ tank next to the other tanks. You should 'bleed' the solar panels from the bottom pipe.
quote:
aOriginally posted by goatman

Dogs have owners Cats have servants. Anon.

Offline goatman

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 17:20:58 PM »
Thank you for you reply voyageur thats where i put my anti freeze but was worried as i watched the turkish workers putting anti freeze in the big tank. i now understand.

Offline LoubyLou

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 05:29:35 AM »
Thanks for these posts - Pookies - I'll send you an email with key details, although they are with someone in Fethiye - not sure if this might be out of the way for your chap to pick up. Do they need access to to the house, or is it just a matter of climbing on the roof to get to the panels???

Offline voyageur

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 05:45:15 AM »
If they were putting antifreeze in the big tank this is the supply to the hotwater tank and would probably turn your hotwater greenish!
quote:
Originally posted by goatman

Thank you for you reply voyageur thats where i put my anti freeze but was worried as i watched the turkish workers putting anti freeze in the big tank. i now understand.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf