Author Topic: COMMUNITY SPIRIT IN UZUMLU???  (Read 7062 times)

Offline kpj

COMMUNITY SPIRIT IN UZUMLU???
« on: November 01, 2008, 09:48:28 AM »
I have not been on this forum for a VERY long time. For reasons only Keith and myself know, as we were both set up by the same person.

The majority of people on this forum do give genuine good information, however, there is a minority (whom I could name and you know who you are) who seem to use the forum to have sly digs at other people.

Wake up, get off your A***S and do something good for the community.

I've read on a previous post, that someone suggested a fund raiser party at the belediye and then promptly passed the buck. Now it seems to have died a death. IS ANYTHING GOING TO COME OF THIS?

Myself & others went to businesses, shops and private houses collecting donations for the funds to fight the proposed cement works and I was surprised at how many ex-pats just did not want to know. If it was not for the hard work by the minority, the majority of you would be surrounded by 4 walls that would be worthless.

There is another fund raiser still going on. Every other friday there is a fun quiz which has been raising money for the school.

The total amount achieved so far is over 5,000YTL. To date the school have had a new volley ball/basketball court, satellite system, and 48 pairs of new shoes were bought for some of the children. Also Computers & a television have been privately donated.
It is now being arranged for 215 fleeces with the school logo to be delivered.

Have the majority of you contributed towards any of these? I THINK NOT!!!!

A very big THANK YOU to the minority for their efforts in supporting both of these projects

Kev

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 10:39:39 AM »
dear kpj   -  I don't know if your email was targetting at any one particular person;  but how on earth can you know everyone who has or hasn't donated ?  there is more than one way to donate to the good of the community and some people don't shout about what they do, they just get on quietly and do it themselves.  Some people aren't there to be able to contribute at these fund raising events, but that doesn't mean than when they are in the village they don't contribute by other means.

Before you lump everyone together, I suggest you do your full homework...as I am sure there are many who read this who do give that you don't know about....

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 10:44:57 AM »
What right have you to insist that everyone donates to these causes? Perhaps they don't agree with them or maybe they just don't want to get involved.

Get off your high horse and let people decide themselves what they want to do with their time and money!

Offline Sharon_Lawtey

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 18:39:07 PM »
how rude, some of us will donnate when we want to  not when we are told to, i  support many good causes but do it because i want to not  because some bully tells me to

Offline phil1839

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 09:38:31 AM »
Kpj At the start of your rant you stated that people use the Forum to give out information perhaps you could have done the same to advertise what time, which Friday and where the quiz is held so if people voluntarily wished to attend they could so. As for having sly digs at people that is precisely what you are you doing. The rest of your post was just to tell people what you have done so we could all say 'well done' to feed your ego. The majority of people that I know who do good works just get on with it and don't feel the need to shout it from the roof tops.

Offline philrose

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 09:46:07 AM »
If this guy is an example of Uzumlu community spirit, I'm glad I don't live there!

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 09:50:02 AM »
He isnt!

Offline calvin 1949

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 10:05:29 AM »
This guy is why most of the village were upset (if that is the right word) with the anti Cement Factory committee, Donations should and mostly were collected on a volantry basis , we didnt need press ganging into donating by the size of our villa or the size of our car ,most folk in the village have donated to the fight at some time !As far as a village party is concerned at no time did Bikerchick or myself say that we would organise a party ,i and i think bikerchick thought that this would be a good way of building bridges between all, still wrong again. And as far as being surrounded by worthless walls ,i retired to this area because i love Uzumlu and its inhabitants not to see how much profit   i can make on my home ,there thats a load off my chest can now get back to enjoying my life in Uzumlu.Calvin
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 14:42:20 PM by calvin 1949 »

Offline Firo

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 10:39:58 AM »
Well hopefuly Calvin and others, you will come along to our next event on the 12th as it has been organised by Eric and I only. It would be nice to see you again and it is a nice social night for all.

One man should not be held responsible for a whole committee (he wasn't on the committee) of hard working people, so lets put the past behind us and reunite for the bigger picture of helping everyone in Uzumlu and protecting the place we all chose to live in.

Fi

Offline calvin 1949

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 10:54:42 AM »
Love to be there but prior engagements
Regards Calvin
ps Fi sent you an email
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 14:39:20 PM by calvin 1949 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf