Author Topic: COMMUNITY SPIRIT IN UZUMLU???  (Read 7058 times)

Offline Eric

COMMUNITY SPIRIT IN UZUMLU???
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 13:38:05 PM »
I have just got back from Erkin's funeral and I must say we can learn a lot from our Turkish friends.  Erkin was from Istanbul originally and settled here a number of years ago.  That said, in a small Turkish village he could still be regarded as a 'yabanci'.  However, he had made a lot of friends, both Turkish and Ex-pat, and there was a good turn out of villagers both at the Mosque and at the graveside.  Ex-pats who also befriended him were also there (those that knew he had died, it is difficult to inform everyone when the funeral is within 24 hours).  We were made very welcome by our Turkish hosts, we did feel uncomfortable as to how to behave at a Turkish funeral but were informed what to do and were welcomed into the proceedings, and Erkin's Brother and Son were visibly moved by the turnout of both Village and Ex-pat friends.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that the Villagers showed us that no matter who you are, where you are from or what your religion is, we are ALL Uzumlu villagers and should rejoice in that, put differences aside and get on with living life to the full.

I certainly learnt a lot from today, I hope others have/will too.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 13:42:33 PM »
I am very sorry we didn't make it to the funeral but by the time we found out it was too late.  I am so glad there was support from both the Turkish and Expat villagers.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2008, 13:44:58 PM »
Scunner, I concede that point about a phrase mentioning Fi organising things.  I replied in a rush as I was about to go out.  That'll teach me.  More than that I am not prepared to discuss as I would prefer not to.

Offline Eric

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2008, 13:46:58 PM »
No probs Linda, it is difficult to let everyone know when funerals take place within 24 hours.  There are friends of his all over that will not know he has died yet, some are in the UK some are in close by resorts but the problem of communication is still the same.

Offline kpj

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2008, 08:16:45 AM »
Thank you Eric.

As most people now know Erkan Kahraman passed away on Saturday night.

Not only was he my best friend, he was my brother, uncle and father all rolled in to one. It was a pleasure to have known him.

So as you can see I have been a little pre-occupied lately and therefore a little slow in answering this post.

As the heading says "Community Spirit".

Well, Erkan was a prime example of what I was getting at. He would do anything for anyone, no matter who you were and never asked for anything in return.

Those who have had the privilege to know him would say he was a great contributor to the community.

You haven't got to put your hand in your pocket to do something good for this small community, just a little of your time and effort maybe. There are lots of other projects that could be done that would cost nothing but time.

So take a leaf out of this great mans book.

Smile, it costs nothing and help is free.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf