Author Topic: ATM  (Read 3467 times)

Offline hamilton

ATM
« on: May 17, 2009, 11:49:37 AM »
Does any one know whether any of the banks been approached regarding an ATM in the village.
It would be benificial to local busines, and also the long drive from Uzumlu to fethiye would be avoided.

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 18:46:14 PM »
Don't hold your breath - my wife has been waiting for her Finansbank credit card for 3 years now!
Not sure what promted you to start this thread but having an ATM in the village would imo not be very high on most people's list of priorities for improvements to the village.

Offline Firo

ATM
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 19:44:20 PM »
The Baskan has tried to get an ATM here and has even suggested places for it to go but the banks have not so far been persuaded. His recommendation for for people/customers to start asking their banks why they will not put one in the village.
Security is not an issue as he has said it could go next to the PTT or next to the Jandarma.
So if you want one and lots of us do, start pestering your bank.

CT surely it would be quicker for you to pick it up in Fethiye than wait 3 years  ;)
Fi

Offline hamilton

ATM
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 20:39:34 PM »
Thank you chris for doing the survey regarding peoples priorities in Uzumlu, could you please let me have a copy. Or is it filed away with your application form for a credit card.

Offline peecee

ATM
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 04:16:30 AM »
I lived in a village in the UK and my nearest town for an ATM was 8 miles away.  There's not even in Gunlukbasi so why would the banks consider putting one in a village?[?]

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
ATM
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 08:50:52 AM »
i can't comment on who or how many people would use an ATM - how ever all I can say is that we plan and ensure that we have enough cash to cover requirements until we do pass an ATM on our travels.  We have only ever been caught out once, and found that one of the shop owners was more than happy to change a few £ for us.  We've never found it a problem.

Offline hamilton

ATM
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 17:33:43 PM »
Gunlukbasi is not a good comparator to Uzumlu as it is adjacent to both Fethiye & Calis and can be reached on foot or other modes of transport, including a regular Dolmus service in a few minutes.
Another bad comparator would have been Oludeniz or Hisaranu both of which have several ATM's. Obviously, here the local traders have seen the advantage of casn being freely obtained and spent in their locality.
Trying to compare facilities in the UK to here is also a bad comparator as here it is a cash society, cheques or plastic wil not often suffice, hard cash is usually required.
As far as ATM's are concerned unlike in the UK they are not only used for withdrawing cash, but have other functions as well, i.e. transferring money between accounts, depositing cash money and also foreign cash exchange at the same rate as on the internet, which is the best rate.
The Turkish people appear to be adept in the use of ATM's, if you have waited for them to complete their transactions you will know what I mean. The local people of Uzumlu and expats would be able to use these facilities without the long trek into Fethiye, surely this must be an advantage.
I have approached the HSBC manager to enquire it it would be worthwhile for an ATM to be sited in Uzumlu, he is going to contact the municipality for their approval. He will let me know within 10 days.
This may be low on some people's priorities but may be obtainable, unlike poor water, electricity, roads etc which are high priorities but due the infrastructure and ever increasing population may be difficult to obtain, without a large injection of money.

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 19:27:16 PM »
Hamilton, just read your unneccessarily sarcastic response of 18 May to my comments of the day before. No I don't have a survey of villagers views but I have lived in the village for over 3 years. I know many people here and whilst I would not wish to speak for them, I can say that I do not ever recall a conversation about ATMs in the village - hence my remarks. Believe me, it really is a dead issue but if you feel strongly - good for you.

Offline The Crinklies

ATM
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 20:16:30 PM »
Hamilton, we have lived in the village for nearly 4 years and am sure that some of the villagers would just like to be able to make a living, earn some money and take care of their families without the worry of where their next meal is going to come from! We don't think an ATM would be high on their priority list!!

Offline Firo

ATM
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 20:56:23 PM »
Late last year , after a request by the Baskan, I did do a survey on CBF, our email expat contact list and at all events we held in the village, on "what would the expats like to see in the village" and, contrary to your findings Chris, an ATM was on the wanted list for a large amount of expats in Uzumlu.
It was not as high as water bills, new roads etc but it came about 4th in the list.
As we stated to the Baskan if we who live here, Expats & locals alike, can withdraw money here in the village then we are less likely to go to Fethiye and spend it there. This will help the local economy hugely and he agreed that everyone in Uzumlu would benefit from an ATM being placed here.
The only reason it had not already happened was the banks concerns about security which were unfounded. As I said previously its up to those of you who want an ATM to ask your banks tp put one here and follow it through.
Fi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf